Reedham Bridge Is Not Operational By All Accounts

Hi Alan, We got to the bridge yesterday at 8.30 am and it was closed with the information board showing a cross and bridge not operational. Two red flags were flying on the flag pole. We contacted the bridge operator on Ch 12 and was advised that the bridge would be closed for the rest of the day. We eventually got through under the bridge when the tide was on the ebb at 1pm.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dnks34 said:

Network Rail might think everything is winding down for the season so they dont need to worry..........they have obviously learnt very little from this years workshop! 

At the least they could give a reason.

I think the sum total from the workshop was:

Boaters are getting a bit fed up with the bridges not opening so we are turning off the phones so we don't have to listen to them

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Reedham Bridge update

Dear all,

Previous to the urgent boating news on 22 September regarding a mechanical fault taking Reedham Swing Bridge out of action, we have been informed by Network Rail that as of today (25 September) the bridge can be manually opened on demand by Network Rail Engineers.

A Plant & Distribution Team are on site replacing hydraulic jacks, parts and brackets on the structure and more information on these repairs will be posted as works progress.

Kind regards,

Tom Waterfall

Digital Communications Officer

01603 756034

Follow us on Twitter

Like us on Facebook

Broads Authority, Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road. Norwich NR1 1RY
01603 610734
www.broads-authority.gov.uk

P1090767.thumb.JPG.367d7d70aa7070faa59a8663b550ef51.JPG

Well done, to the maintenance team, working on Reedham Bridge. From a complete breakdown on Sunday morning to partial operation on Tuesday and fully operational by Thursday morning, sounds like they've earned their corn. I don't know how the bridge works, but replacing the jacks that lift the bridge prior to swinging, plus other replacement parts, sounds like heavy work and in a difficult working environment.

It may have affected trains for a short period as I noticed there was little to no traffic congestion in Oulton Broad the other day, very unusual.

It was gas works snarling the place up the other week on Bridge Road with traffic lights and down to one lane.  They started on the Thursday so Im told, finished by Friday lunchtime and didnt bother to remove the traffic lights till Saturday afternoon, there was traffic backed up to Beccles Road Tesco still at 8pm on the Friday night........sorry I think i went a bit off topic but this kind of thing is the norm round here its no wonder shops in Oulton Broad dont do well. 

• Like 2