Quality Roach And Perch

Dazza

Hi a mate and me are hiring a boat out of stalham this Saturday for a weeks fishing he is after quality roach and I am after quality perch,  thinking of  St benets as a starting point or should we stick to one of the Broads?  any advice appreciated thank you in advance 

Water crystal clear at the moment. had first blank for a long while this week on Wroxham Broad. Someone fished the main river and also blanked. Back of Salhouse Broad on main river worth a hit though. Have always caught well here but not been there for 3 weeks. Looks like fish are moving into boatyards.

13 minutes ago, fishtone said:

Water crystal clear at the moment. had first blank for a long while this week on Wroxham Broad. Someone fished the main river and also blanked. Back of Salhouse Broad on main river worth a hit though. Have always caught well here but not been there for 3 weeks. Looks like fish are moving into boatyards.

Must be those damned otters :default_biggrin::default_gbxhmm:

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Dazza said:

Hi a mate and me are hiring a boat out of stalham this Saturday for a weeks fishing he is after quality roach and I am after quality perch,  thinking of  St benets as a starting point or should we stick to one of the Broads?  any advice appreciated thank you in advance 

Hi Dazza and welcome to the forum.

Hope you have a great weeks fishing.

This season I have been out most weekends fishing and whilst I'm no expert I get the feeling there are fish everywhere with no  particular hotspots at all. St Bennets is good for Roach and Perch, Fleet Dyke also. I believe around Barton Broad is good too but other than the opening day have not tried it.

More importantly is the bait you use. This year I have caught better fish when using bread, corn or luncheon meat......worms, maggots, caster just catch the smaller fish. You may wait longer for the bites but the result is worth it. I was moored next to a boat earlier in the year at Salhouse and the guy was fishing with wheat.....had plenty of Roach around 6-8 ounces....ok, not massive, but was picking off the better ones.

Perch wise, a lot has been made of this new thing , "drop shotting" I've never tried it, but want to and will do. Look it up if you don't know what it is.

Also, don't overlook that decent fish can be caught right up next to the quay heading, you don't always have to lob a feeder mid river.

At the moment, personally, I would not fish anywhere above Salhouse , very clear.

Tight lines.

• Like 1

A few weeks ago I would have confidently advised good friends where to find quality/large roach & perch on the Southern Broads at this time of the year. However, for various reasons that I can only guess at, said fish, whilst still about, have become unexpectedly harder to find. They must still be there, surely won't all have been eaten by rogues otters or succumbed to bad handling, just a case of finding and tempting them.  Good luck, Dazza. 

Hope you have a great time Dazza, cant give you any info on recent catches but we have been on the broads every October for the last 6 years usually around half term. Our favourite spot for perch is around the Horning area which has provided good perch even from the staithe .Last year we also had many good fish from inside the Faircraft Loynes basin at Wroxham

Tight lines