Dredging Moorings.

OldBerkshireBoy

I would think (though not sure) that you were misinformed. If you`re buying a mooring from a marina, boatyard, or even a land owner, i would say (again not sure) that the land owners, be it the marina operators or boatyard owners etc, would be responsible to see said mooring is up to a usable standard, and is fit for purpose. Unless it primarily states it`s a drying mooring, then it`s reasonable to assume it`s deep water at all times?. It`s worth asking if this is their responsibility possibly in law?. I think you would be very wise to investigate this, and see what the law is?.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are actually buying a mooring, i.e. freehold, then yes you probably would be responsible for dredging , but off the top of my head I can think of few moorings that come up for sale other than at St Olaves.

Elsewhere you would be leasing them, from a landowner and that would be the responsibility of the Lessor - otherwise he is not leasing a mooring but for half the time a pile of mud !! In a marina its pretty obvious as you don't actually own anything other than the right to moor there for a stated period -  and its obviously the marina owners responsibility. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, marshman said:

If you are actually buying a mooring, i.e. freehold, then yes you probably would be responsible for dredging , but off the top of my head I can think of few moorings that come up for sale other than at St Olaves.

Elsewhere you would be leasing them, from a landowner and that would be the responsibility of the Lessor - otherwise he is not leasing a mooring but for half the time a pile of mud !! In a marina its pretty obvious as you don't actually own anything other than the right to moor there for a stated period -  and its obviously the marina owners responsibility. 

Yes, sorry Marshman, i should have used the "rent" rather than "buy". Also, you make the point really well about freehold which i did`nt think of.

2 hours ago, Pumpmedic said:

Thanks, St.Olaves are selling half their moorings spaces at Beccles, moorings are freehold but the access to the moorings are leased with conditions attached.

I would check St Olaves,the tide goes out at times fairly low.It happens at times at our moorings in Brundall. For me I would not go down the road of a single plot moorings. At our moorings we have loos ,showers, fuel etc and there is always people around to keep an eye on boats.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

I would check St Olaves,the tide goes out at times fairly low.It happens at times at our moorings in Brundall. For me I would not go down the road of a single plot moorings. At our moorings we have loos ,showers, fuel etc and there is always people around to keep an eye on boats.

I fully agree with you, we all tend to keep a look out on most of the marinas.

Regards

Alan

• Like 4