One For Vaughan?

JennyMorgan

We went in during our season start allocation (beginning of March) after mooring at Commissioners Cut and walking up to Thorpe.

We had a couple of beers, but there was no chance of any food, the bar was being served by the cleaner, we left after a couple of regulars propped up the bar and went to get some food.

Regards

Alan

I first became one of the regulars in the Buck, at the age of 4. And I drank beer as well, out of my own little miniature tankard. I can remember when the beer was delivered every week by Bullards dray, pulled by two immaculate white Shire horses. The oak casks were all stacked up behind the bar, so the beer was literally "on tap".

It was a Bullards pub and went through a lot of good character landlords, the best of all being Patsy Dashwood, when she had it as a free house. Unfortunately when Patsy retired and sold it, the present owners have "creamed it off the top" and made it impossible for any of the tenants to run a profitable business, although I think a lot more effort should have been made to provide good food.

You could always tell when the latest tenants were about to give it all up, as the credit card machine suddenly "broke down" and they would only take cash. I very much hope such a famous pub will continue but clearly, it only has a hope of doing so as a free house.

• Like 2

Sold as a freehold with no ties is the best thing that could happen to it, hopefully someone will take it on and make a good go of it.

There's lots of moaning that taxation and supermarkets has killed off pubs but I recon breweries and pubcos have done most of themselves.

• Like 4