Book Recommendations Wanted

Ray

On 21/11/2019 at 11:17, vanessan said:

Now whose idea was it in the first place to going showing our hose?? Then you chicken out πŸ”πŸ”!! All mouth and trousers (or in your case hose).Β :default_norty:

I've only been on the network forum a few days, IΒ had thought it was all about the broads but it's obvious this is where they get the scripts for new 'Carry On' films, i'm impressed and amused.

SteveP

Carry On.

On 21/11/2019 at 11:17, vanessan said:

Now whose idea was it in the first place to going showing our hose?? Then you chicken out πŸ”πŸ”!! All mouth and trousers (or in your case hose).Β :default_norty:

I'm not the kind of guy who "chickens out" or runs away from anything or anyone Mrs V, but out of respect for our fellow forumites sanity I think I had best save showing you my hose until I bump into you in personΒ :default_wink:

:default_xmas2:

8 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

For me the one book that any lover of the Broads should have is this one, absolute bible of the Broads:

I met Dr Martin George on a few occasions when he was working with my father - and yours - on drawing up the first Broads Study and Plan, back in the 60s.

The depth of his knowledge on all matters Broadland, should have been listened to a great deal more than it was, in later years!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I met Dr Martin George on a few occasions when he was working with my father - and yours - on drawing up the first Broads Study and Plan, back in the 60s.

The depth of his knowledge on all matters Broadland, should have been listened to a great deal more than it was, in later years!

He was also the chap that realised how contrived was the evidence of the Great Estuary theory and kickstarted much of the modern research done by the archaeologists and geologists from Cambridge and Birmingham universities north and south of the Broads respectively.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Vaughan said:

It wasn't until later in life that I met Martin, we were both Broads Society committee members. It soon became abundantly clear that he was a true gentleman, both by birth and by nature. More than any one else I have met he had theΒ remarkable ability to more than fairly balance the three core values by which the Broads AuthorityΒ Β is governed. Martin was a realist, a clear thinker and a wise man. I well remember attending a planning consultation at the Cantley Sugar Factory. On one side of the table was the management of the factory and on the other were members of the Broads Society. I rather suspect that the factory people were expecting confrontation but Martin quickly pointed out that we were there to judge the merits or otherwise of a factory development, a factory that was as much a part of the Broads as the river themselves. BSC were clearly aware of their responsibilities and not just to the shareholders. We were pleased to support their application.Β 

The Authority is well aware of his writings and they are referred to, especially when they can be seen to support policy or agenda. However, VaughanΒ  is quite right in suggesting that Martin should have been listened to more than he was.Β 

• Like 1

I've been hunting my book shelves and discovered where I put the book I was going to recommend. Here is the current definitive read and set text on the geology and archaeology of ancient Broadland. "Ol’Man River. Geo-Archaeological Aspects of Rivers and River Plains Β byΒ Morgan De Dapper,Β Frank Vermeulen,Β Sarah Deprez andΒ Devi Taelman of the University of Ghent.Β It is a tad expensive though!Β 

3 hours ago, Turnoar said:

Marshland Adventure by Wentworth Day, hiring out in winter is definitely not new. Enjoy, should be loads on eBay if not the old bookshop in Cromer.

Thoroughly enjoyable read by an accomplished raconteur, however not adverse to a tad of BS! I have all his Broads related books and am not adverse to revisiting them on occasion but I don't rely on his historical accuracy. Despite that wholly recommended.