Restoration.

Springsong

Thanks Jonny I am well pleased.

Clive we (I) have given it much thought, it would be at least £6K maybe more if we have to change bearers and prop and shaft and things. I am not sure that the modern engines are more economical even, so I am going for the good soundproofing route and see how we get on.

Anyway I am rather fond of the " noisy lumpy old engine" and don't you dare ever say it in front of the old girl, she may stop for ever. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Jonny hi.

We will be having shore power a new galley and an electric loo. We are using all the original lighting but with LED

replacement bulbs, new flooring in pretty well everywhere. No TV don't need one on the Broads but an i pod dock of some kind to be decided.

Then apart from new paint and varnish and yards of T&G that is about it.

Behind the scenes everything will be modern but what you will see will be fairly traditional.

The engine has been painted the gearbox engine and diesel filters have all been renewed. We just have to get a new alternator and belt and refit new hoses.

The windows have all been cut now.

The roofs and decks have all been epoxied and rubbed down and have received their undercoat.

Although not a brilliant photo but with the chrome surrounds on the rear windows gives one some idea of what the finished article will look like.

post-133-136713943871_thumb.jpg

post-133-13671394389_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713944148_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713944159_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713944169_thumb.jpg

Hi . No a previous owner had painted every bit of the outside with Sadolin hence the muddy brown. Originally she was white so white she is going to be, except of course the new cabin sides which will be varnished along with the transom. See photo of her at 1958 London boat show (courtesy of VWBA.

post-133-136713944179_thumb.jpeg

I can't think what to call it but MB have incorporated this raised piece at the end of the cabin roof to prevent rain water running into the aft well from the roof. The paint you see is the top coat for the cabin roofs.

The front hatch is almost complete now, the actual hatch is made and has been painted. We just need some polished stainless to fit to the top of the runners.

post-133-136713945377_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713945388_thumb.jpg

We have through an increasingly good friend acquired some teak to make toerails and rubbers for Star Premiere. My thinking apart from the fact I adore teak was that it is such a hard wood that other than a major hit it is unlikely to be damaged, at least, as much as mahogany would. Added to that this particular teak is in the region of 3 to 5 hundred years old. There was a slight hiccup to start with MB caught us on the hop and needed it sooner than we anticipated so they have machined it for us. Four of the pieces they were not happy with the “raw†size but they will be perfect for the toerails. Our friend cut some more of a slightly more generous nature and the results are as you see in the photos.

The newer cut wood is the darker colour, this is the natural oil in this stunning wood coming to the surface, it will sink back in and end up the same golden honey colour as the rest.

Finally the transom.

post-133-136713945698_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713945951_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713945961_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713945969_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713945979_thumb.jpg

Hi Alan

Sorry I have spelt it wrong I have I hope put a link in to show you the oil.It is a two stage process, first apply the No: one oil until the wood can soak up no more, then if a matt finish is required one leaves it at that. When a gloss finish is required then six or seven coats of No: two is applied this is and oily varnish which gives a high gloss finish the beauty of the system is there is no rubbing down to do other than initial preparation of the the wood to as good a finish as is possible.

The photo shows the kind of finish one can expect, possibly even better in a dust free atmosphere which this certainly is not.

The hull will be gloss white with blue antifoul and a red boot top (probably).

Pictures of the grain will have to wait until we return next door, I cannot get up on the staging.

https://marineindustrial.co.uk/index.ph ... je-d1.html

post-133-136713945987_thumb.jpg

Here is some wood grain for you Alan.

I ordered some solid oak block breakfast bar 2000mm x 960mm x 40mm. I ordered it on Thursday and was asked if I would like it the next day. I asked if I could have it delivered to Martham today (Monday). Around 3.30 a van with two guys on board turned up and delivered the worktop asking where I would like it. A great product really well protected and a service second to none by obliging staff full marks to the chippy shop.

Anyway the first coat of varnish has gone on the cabin sides. This has gone on on top of two coats of Clipper 1 which I gather is an oil treatment which takes varnish on top. As you can see it certainly works at bringing the grain out, this is really beginning to look like something now.

post-133-136713946314_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713946576_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713946586_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713946598_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713946613_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Alan that is a question I keep asking myself. It looks like next year now.

I was up at my son in laws place the other day and spotted this piece of beech mouldering away and thought it was just to good to be recycled for his wood burner, so I rescued it with the idea of perhaps setting the basin in the heads into it. One edge is stained and knackered but the rest is not perfect but I think usable. 

I have had this piece of wood staring at me for some weeks. I had hoped to find a piece of the old cabin side to use for the dashboard, I may still yet but would probably have to glue two bits together as at first sight there do not appear to be any big enough pieces. 

I am sure when it all oil;ed up it will look fine.

Finally for today the cabin sides have now had seven 

coats of varnish. This will now be left to harden off 

until next year when it will be flatted off with very 

fine paper and another two coats put on to give it some 

real depth, although it's not too shoddy now. 

post-133-136713948181_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713948201_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713948468_thumb.jpg

Hello Barry,

Those cabin sides now they have had the varnish on look amazing and once dry as you say you will be able to give them a light sand down prior to the next few coats, are you going to thin down the varnish to give it that deep shine.

What is the size of the wood you need for the instrument cabinet and what timber would you prefer. Dependant on size and thickness I may have something at home that may suit you.

I am down on the Broads for a week from 30th October.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan

pretty well everything that is varnished on the boat is mahogany so I guess mahogany. The only thing is if I am going to do it all again I would like to use a piece of mahogany at least the age of the boat 50 plus years which in fact means probably one hundred years old at least which means an old cabin side or an old piece of mahogany furniture. If you have anything of that nature I would love a slice, I shall be going down to the yard very shortly so will measure up and let you know.

Thank you for the offer. cheers