Restoration.

Springsong

We had a BSS on Friday which we failed as I and everybody else knew we would. It was really to see what we needed to do. It turns out very little, a few wires, a battery terminal cover to adjust the Mikuni exhaust to lag (which we knew about) and a couple of weeping diesel pipes, and that is about it.

The rear screen while not finished, still end windows to go in, it is waterproof and I believe looks rather good.

From the photos you can see that we have lagged the exhaust but we now have to lag the silencer as well.

The sockets and light are in the front cabin on the side of the wardrobe, we will be putting a piece of ply across the back inside to protect everything.

The funny bits of wood are sawn from the bottom of the saloon / cockpit doors. The reasoning behind this is the doors were too long, and the bottoms were rather moth eaten. We have had a complete re think and redesign of the hatch into the saloon. Originally the hatch folded in half up against the rear screen; this was just not going to work with the present set up. The plan is open it from right to left whilst looking aft, the front of the hatch will be hinged and fold flat having had the width increased to a cover the shortened doors and to match the finishing board across the top of bulkhead.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126518448@N02/15258166219/

Being so nice I'm going to save all you owners of Stick boats some money! take a look at this,,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcBdvChtQkU&list=PLzlN3A2DLgNwRBjNfKbg6WFFLCJ04Bvip all you'll need to do is plank the outside with UPVC cladding and you can join us in the Plastic Pig Club, now don't get me wrong I love Stick boats but I would never own one, I'm too old and too broke, but even to me this is Sooooo! wrong, even I can laminate a Frame using real sticks,,

Frank,,,,,

Barry, she looks an amazing boat.. everything looks stunning but them windows are soo pretty. Sorry to hear about the BSC although as you say at least its only little bits and bits you expected.  Please keep the pictures coming :) Looking forward to seeing one day on the broads.. cheers, Alan

Thank you all for your comments (even you Griff :norty: )

The engine stop is at last fitted and I don’t have to lift a board to stop the engine, big relief.

The heated towel rail is now fitted, it just needs connecting up to the engine water system and the immersion heater connected to its switch in the cupboard under the sink.

We just managed to get the ceiling down lighter and vent fitted before the rain set in but it was touch and go for a while as you can see from the photo of the chrome vent cover taken through the screen.

The front panel under the basin is in place but not fixed and the top piece has to be shaped to fit the bottom of the basin.

The starboard companion way bulkhead has had a coat of varnish and looks a lot better as does the main cockpit bulkhead with its first topcoat.

I have glossed the inside of the wardrobe  in white but have yet to fit a shelf in the bottom, and I also have to get a hanging rail.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126518448@N02/15336961370/

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It is so seldom one gets to see ones “own” boat motoring down the river, so when they needed to move her I got one of the guys to move her so I could take some photos. Unfortunately the sun wasn’t shining but hey ho.

The cockpit is coming along now still plenty of varnishing to do but at least the bits are getting attached. The finishing piece over the dashboard is only temporarily fixed as the inverter remote switch (the square black thing in the centre) has to be properly wired in.

The hatch needs some attention the gap at the top of the doors needs to be filled. Alan is going to take 2” or so from the back edge of the hatch and glue it the bottom edge of the front flap, also 2 bits of the old cabin sides will be fixed to the ends of the flap so the whole hatch fits better.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126518448@N02/15415446718/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The story is pretty well over now. We have been down to Potter Heigham Bridge to have look see and it would appear that we have little chance of getting through any time soon. We asked a well-known boat moving firm for a quote to move us by road from Martham to Stalham. When they didn’t reply in a week I rang a chap whose name I had been given by a friend. They rang me back a couple of hours later with an acceptable quote and a date of today 07/11/14 to move Star Premiere to her new home in Stalham. This was duly done this morning by Chris who is really very helpful and exceptionally good at his job. His hiab can lift 12 ton and his truck can take I think 10 ton, so most Broads cruiser are ok other than length we are 34’6” which is about his maximum. Look at the photos on flickr.

Just a month or so short of seven years.

If anything major happens I will post but this is pretty well it, so thank you all for following this blog and commenting on it on occasion.

Thank you

Barry.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126518448@N02/15709229796/

• Like 8

Well done Barry.. She looks a million dollars (at least 3 million quid!). Seven years is a long time (but makes me feel a bit better as we are looking at about 14 months!.. joys of glass).  Hope you get out and enjoy her but for goodness sake don't get another project too soon ;)cheers

About time too!

What happened to the launch / Re-comissioning party then? :huh:

I look forward to seeing her in person afloat for the first time in years, we ought to have a mini-cruise in company seeing as 'B.A' and her are sisters from the same original builder.

What airdraft does she need? or have you not taken any measurements as of yet?  I can do this for you next time I'm down if you wish.

Aside from that a huge well done at long last (Even if you lot did cheat and get professional help), now get out there and enjoy her

Griff

A BIG well done Barry. Hopefully, when we`re on Lightning next year, we`ll see you and the crew on the river in all her glory.

This has been a fascinating thread, and one i`m sure many members will feel saddened to know it`s finally finished.

To me, there`s always something special about seeing a boat that has been sadly neglected for many years being brought back to life through many years of peoples hard and dedicated work. Next one will be Alan and Dave (Jaws Orca and friend), so when theirs is finished, hopefully, we`ll have someone elses restoration blog to read.

Once again, well done to Barry and the crew for such a dedicated hard effort  :clap :clap .

• Like 4

Thank you all so much for your kind comments. I have been chastised in another place for not showing her when finally finished with all her upholstery in place sooo there will in fact be the odd post when there is something to report.

Thanks again and see you all on the rivers next season.

Just caught this today and read it from the start (too much time on my hands some might say) & have to say you've all done a fantastic job, she looks stunning.

It's taken some time but as my Dad (who was a very talented woodworker) would have said, "if a job's worth doing, its worth taking your time and doing it properly"

Well done

David

• Like 2

Sorry Griff I didn't answer you. A definite yes to a cruise with you and BA, as for a party not quite finished enough yet next spring maybe.

We have measured the air draft to the point of the front screen plinth, it was 6'8" but the screen thickness then has to be added so I guess 6'10" or so. We will have to measure it properly with it all down. When we took it all down on Friday it was the first time it had been down so I wasn't even sure it was all going to work, but it did and rather well I am pleased to say but there is still some tweeking to do.

• 2 weeks later...