Restoration.

Springsong

thought you might like a copy of this listing in a 1968 blakes catalogue that dan sent me a few years back

jill

I wonder what date the one was that Barry posted on page 1 of this thread...

The peak price was only £12 19s per person then ,

but had apparently risen to £19 10s per person by 1968

(and as the boat was ony built in 1959, it increased by 50% in 9 years or less)...

The Electrolux refrigerator had also apparently become an ice-box

and the sailing dinghy supplied on the earlier catalogue must have become an "optional extra"...

I also see that by 1968 the gas cylinders had been moved into a gas locker, shades of the BSS to come...

I also noticed the Red Ensign flying from the stern in the 1968 photo, these days this is normally a sign of a private boat.

post-133-136713965548_thumb.jpgpost-133-136713965548_thumb.jpg1959 was her first season but I forget the date of the brochure either 59 or possibly 1960.

Over the years the galley has been through a few different designs. The fridge has been on both

sides as when we bought her she had an electrolux vent in the hull on both sides, the sink is on

the opposite side to the original but when we bought her there was a shower and heads on

the starboard side of the galley.

Most promotional photos I have seen of her class have had an ensign flying, the mast on the

front roof is as far as I can tell still with her as it is a solid piece of oak.

In the boat show photo you can just make out the ensign at the rear.

I hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally fitted the oak faced ply under the deck, I say I did it but in fact Yogi bear (Dave) just happened to be around and was coerced into helping. Those of you who have met me know I cannot reach very far with my left side so any thing which requires two hand at full stretch just doesn't work. In short the job was done in a quarter of an hour as opposed to the three quarters of an hour it took me for one screw.

I had a very welcome visit from Jock on Thursday, it made me look at things and I realised what a tip I was working in, Dave then confirmed it on Saturday. A good tidy up and vacuum was the order of the day, on top of this Liz (Water Rail) has got me to wondering whether our floor boards would clean up as hers have. I shall have to have the boards up to vacuum the bilge anyway and the 240 volt wiring is going to have to cross the bilge a couple of times so I might as well have a crack at the boards at the same time. The general consensus seems to be that carpet is a nuisance in walk ways so polished boards with washable mats sounds good to me.

After considerable soul searching we have decided to bow to modernity and fit an aid to mooring. Whether it will work remains to be seen.

post-133-136713966567_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713966582_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713966591_thumb.png

• 4 weeks later...

So having taken some of the boards up I found that the bilge had not been painted in this area. Regrettably the paint company I have been using have for some obscure reason beyond my comprehension decided to stop doing blue grey bilge paint and just do one colour, a rather lurid green. The result without paying nearly £45 locally was this Grey from Midland Chandlers. Delivered a couple of days from the order for £33. Not ideal I agree colour wise but you cannot see it when the boards are down.

Not the best photo but here are some of the boards sanded back and with two coats of 50/50 varnish and white spirit. I have bought a product which when it arrives I shall try on a small area to see if it works as a finish and polish, I will let you know watch this space. Oh they have also been stained with medium oak.

I have cut out the holes for the sockets in the saloon one each end of the sideboard. The one in the photo is at the aft end set into the hanging cupboard.

We have placed the worktops on the units, The front edges have been routered to make a gentle curve and the backs have been sawn of at the correct length. We still have to attend to the cut out for the butlers sink but that will be done in place. The gaps down the sides will be covered by upstands, a gaps needs to be left to allow for expansion and contraction that takes place, especially in this marine environment.

It never ceases to amaze me how on a wooden boat what appears to be a straight line is in fact the complete opposite.

These two off cuts are from the backs of the work tops the angles are to allow them to fit snug up to the hull covering boards.

Both these will be sliced to make upstands to go down the sides and the backs of the worktops.

post-133-136713967745_thumb.jpg

post-133-13671396776_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713967769_thumb.jpg

post-133-13671396778_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713967792_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have bought some sheets of plywood using the account that Gary set up for us all at Jewsons. Thank you Gary it has been most helpful and was very easy to use.

I have bought two sheets of 6mm and two sheets of 9mm.

The 9mm is for the internal cockpit sides which go from floor height to around waist height and hide the drop sides when they are down. I haven't used marine grade but the highest waterproof glued one, the difference in price is huge and at the end of the day it is inside and the edges are protected.

The photo shows the two boards cut out , unfortunately I could not get two boards out of one sheet.

I mixed a stain with varnish to match the old existing mahogany, it does look awfully red but it is actually just about spot on. The one on the bench has had its first coat of varnish, but still a way to go yet.  

post-40-0-75810900-1368128691_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Alan

Yes the edges are coated and the back side will be painted with bilge/locker paint.

I am now going to experiment with using Flickr to post the photos thus saving the forum band with.

Hopefully the link will take you to a photo of some of the engine space floor boards painted and ready for fitting.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/70552636@N00/8725515414/in/set-72157633445421943

I have made this panel up from 5mm ply and t&g. It (hopefully) will fit at the out board end of the saloon transverse bunk against the ribs. It will have ventilation top and bottom.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/70552636@N00/8731414594/in/set-72157633445421943

I have not used Photobucket before Trev but I shall now Google it and see if I can make head nor tail of it. It has taken me three years or more to get this far with Flickr  :???:

• 1 month later...

hi barry

this is how to load pictures from flickr now its been updated

1. select the picture you want then click the little box

under it, it has a broken square with an arrow coming out of it and it turns pink when you select it.

2. click inside the box that appears with the code in it and it will turn the code blue then select 'copy'

3. then select 'copy' and paste it into your post.

9145231585_0fff07dff4_o.jpg
posting from flickr to the forum by boaty_granny, on Flickr

or just post it through the forum if the size is ok

• 3 weeks later...

post-40-0-12309900-1374058446_thumb.jpgpost-40-0-78209100-1374058427_thumb.jpgpost-40-0-46413400-1374058404_thumb.jpgpost-40-0-52644300-1374058387_thumb.jpg   Things are progressing on the hull (Griff will be pleased to know). There is only one more board to go in on the starboard side, front at least. Hopefully by the time I go back tomorrow (Thursday) that will be in as well. The black on the top plank is the residue from the steaming of oak; this evidently leaves this black substance. Perhaps I should say we have had several new oak ribs in the bows as well as planking.

With more than a little help all my wiring efforts in the after sections have come to fruition. All the lights work in the saloon galley and aft cockpit, a bit of a result really considering my completely amateur status.

This is the underside maybe 3’ or 4’ back from the stem. You can see how flat it is becoming compared to the almost perpendicular shape at the stem. The result is that the new planks not only have to bend but also to twist through almost 45 degrees apart from starting aft at an 8” or 10” wide plank of wood to end up not much more than 3” at the stem. I really do admire these guys, they do it without thinking and some of the more experienced without even measuring, just by eye. You can also see the scarphs cut to take the new wood.

The exhaust is now all fitted; typically we were just about 6” out in our measurements so we have just put a small length of the old metal pipe in at the highest point so water won’t settle in it. The only thing left to do with the exhaust is to rig up a swan neck in the galley behind the fridge to prevent water running back up the exhaust, not that with the Halyard silencer it could reach the engine, but best practise etc. etc.. The transom fitting is one Jason found for me and is exactly what I wanted, just one of my pet things. You see so many badly fitted exhaust transom fittings with odd or steel screws, I wanted one with some kind of cover and this is it just one screw underneath to hold the cover in place, after all the transom is one of the show pieces of a boat.

• Like 3

Thank you all for your kind comments. John and Mary I am just project managing this animal, not even paying thank goodness. A little varnish thrown at the odd piece of wood is about my limit. Any way here is a bit more of the black art finished.

I am pleased to say the starboard side bow is now re planked and ready for caulking puttying and painting. There will be quite an amount of epoxy filling to do where the old nails have been punched out and taken slivers of wood with them; this was to put in the new oak timbers.

The starboard planking goes fairly well aft.

We have started to tidy up the wiring in the engine space. The boards I bought seem to be doing the job in keeping the conduit out of harms way; these boards hopefully are wide enough to take the 240 volt cabling as well when we fit it.

The first of the port side boards going in.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/70552636@N00/9318485637/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/70552636@N00/9318489233/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/70552636@N00/9321279154/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/70552636@N00/9321281050/in/photostream/

• Like 2

Hello Barry,

It is beginning to look very well and the joints on those boards are very tight you may not need too much caulking, the nails as you say are something else plenty of filling and sanding there. International used to do a grey primmer filler paint that we used a small marine ply boat we were making. Once we sanded everything down we painted this on prior to a final sanding down.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan

I think we will use epoxy mixed with a west system powder which makes the whole goop sandable. Then the grey or white primer then several undercoats 4 or 5 maybe, then 2 maybe 3 top coats.

That is an awful lot of sanding but hopefully will give a reasonable finish. oh I forgot of course all the caulking and puttying.