Norfolk Broads Direct Wroxham

Mark42

This weekend I received the brochure from NBD, the range of new and modern boats with a very high specification on offer is very tempting.

Fair Monarch, Fair President, Fair Sovereign are of interest to me for 2 weeks in July 2012, the reason I am planning ahead is due to cost £4000 and this ammount of money you have to save in advance. Has anybody been on any of these boats? if so are they worth the high higher cost.

For the last 3 years I have enjoyed what Richardsons have to offer, Broads Sunrise, Sunset & Harmony for 2011. I will not book the same boat twice so unless the RC45 can tempt me to stay with them then I will be on the Fair President. If the RC45 can offer the same as President ie whirl pool bath, Xbox 360, shore power and a very high spec inside then we will stick with Richardsons and I hope they can as I have become very fond of boating with them recently.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

You sure you want a Broads holiday ;)

Quite agree Perry, we hire a boat on the Broads (which is NOT a National park) to get away from home, not to have the same things on hand. It`s great to moor somewhere isolated to enjoy the peace and quiet and admire the wildlife and scenery. As for £4,000, i`d rather spend £1,000 for 2 weeks and pay the other 3 off our mortgage. Swallow from Maffett cruisers in late June, £450, followed by Angler cottage at Irstead (through Norfolk country cottages) £400. And if we invited another couple to share the cottage, that would lower the cost even more. But 2 weeks holiday on the Broads for £850 sounds good to me. Regards ............. Neil.

Boat for me Xbox for kids, I have 4K to spend and want the best I can get for the money. cheersbar

"Best" is subjective really so I guess we will all think differently on this front. I too am not keen to see a whirlpool bath on a boat, or a household settee (Fair President) on a boat for six, or an x box, but I can appreciate some like this... I tend to prefer the more 'boaty' fitouts over the lots of stuff intended for houses but this is just my preference.

Faircraft always seem friendly and have well turned out boats so I'm sure you'd have a good time there. On the plus side the boats in question have an external helm over those you've had recently and a good sociable moulded area there, which could be good in great weather and offer improved visibility than the internal helm, but on the down side of that you have a much increased air-draft to what you have had in your recent hires, which could be a negative if you like to see those nice stretches under bridges etc.

I doubt you'll find a whirlpool bath on a RC45 but maybe Clive can incorporate it?! The boat is on Hoseasons now (though not yet the Richardsons site), so you can get a layout plan and more info, though it doesn't look like the features list has really seen much attention as it will I would expect have lots of things that aren't detailed (like microwave etc)... even the bow thruster's not listed but is shown via the layout. Also, it shows at 12ft wide when its 12.5...

http://www.hoseasons.co.uk/webpages/eub ... TINDEXPD=0

Richardsons new "Broadsman" is also more expensive on peak weeks than your two preferences, though can sleep a further two people

All the best

Dan

Nothing wrong with the magic gem, I have had many years afloat on this style of boat. The yards would not be building the high end luxury boats if there was no customers interested in hiring them. You only live once so why not have a bit of luxury while on holiday.

Everyone's holiday is their own Mark and personally I think it is great that hire boats are now knocking on £2k a week, that means that if you were to take two 2 week holidays a year then Clandestine could be paid for in 4 years and you would get to keep her at the end of it.

Any Takers?

You lucky person Dave. :mrgreen:

That is a *very* good price indeed, do you get a discount for multiple weeks??

cheersbar

well a discount for starting on a friday

and multiple week discount

im realy chuffed at the price im paying

i suppose ill have to fill up with fuel halfway through

the holiday...but hey....... :Stinky:Stinky:dance:dance

Nothing wrong with the magic gem, I have had many years afloat on this style of boat. The yards would not be building the high end luxury boats if there was no customers interested in hiring them. You only live once so why not have a bit of luxury while on holiday.

hi mark and there is certainly nothing wrong with luxury

hire boats.i would hire these craft but only if a few other couples

would share the cost

i would not consider hiring a boat at this price

on my own for the sake of a few home from home luxurys

however each to their own

and wish you have a great time :grin::grin::grin:

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
ive booked magic gem in 2011

for 21 days in october

£794 now thats what i call value cheersbar

Economy boating at its best. My point in a nutshell Blackpool :clap:clap:clap .

There's nothing wrong with budget boats, nothing wrong with luxury boats. Everyone has different needs which explains why there is such a range of prices and styles out there and all will get bookings in the current market. Personally I tend to default to booking something I would call 'mid range', because I don't see the need to pay for the very top end stuff like Fair President and so on but to be honest I might struggle with Magic Gem. I really like Summercraft, Royall's and Silverline amongst others because they cater really well for us mid-range types!

Back to the NBD subject. I really like the 2011 brochure and full marks to them for sending an old-fashioned paper job out to me. I'm on their mailing list from previous years even though I've never booked. The huge exterior shots sell the boats really well.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
There's nothing wrong with budget boats, nothing wrong with luxury boats. Everyone has different needs which explains why there is such a range of prices and styles out there and all will get bookings in the current market. Personally I tend to default to booking something I would call 'mid range', because I don't see the need to pay for the very top end stuff like Fair President and so on but to be honest I might struggle with Magic Gem. I really like Summercraft, Royall's and Silverline amongst others because they cater really well for us mid-range types!

Back to the NBD subject. I really like the 2011 brochure and full marks to them for sending an old-fashioned paper job out to me. I'm on their mailing list from previous years even though I've never booked. The huge exterior shots sell the boats really well.

Totally agree with you there Simon, but in our (my wife and i) financial situation, being officially in the low wage earning sector (you would think the aviation industry would be at least in the middle sector?) and having a sizeable mortgage due to meeting late in life, we have to count every penny as the pounds are ALL taken care of. I will also completely agree with you regarding Summercraft - Siverline etc, as they have some superb boats in the mid range market. Regards ............. Neil.

I agree its good there's a great choice on the Broads for all pockets. I'd be disappointed if this ever reduces as having the option to go more often but on cheaper boats is one I've enjoyed many times and long may that continue. Good also that there's the new boats for those wanting more luxury or something more cutting edge or that wouldn't visit without that being catered for, and of course, hopefully these new boats of today can in the fullness of time drop down the price and standard brackets as they in turn get replaced by newer more expensive models.

The NBD brochure does seem a comprehensive one... a class per page is pretty generous, and I like the fact there's a photo of more than one cabin on the boat pages and some nuce full page general pictures in the overview sections. They make it clear they are aiming to lead the way on luxury or standard by their strapline and I guess the brochure is in keeping with that... goodness knows what it must have cost them per copy.

Dan

having hired Fair Monarch this year,and having booked Fair President for 1 week next may,and Fair Sovereign for 1 week next august and 2 weeks next september i would rather pay the extra for the comfort that these boat have (what i have spent over the last 5 years on hire boats i could have bought my own twice over,or gone on a round the world trip!!!)i have hired older boats Summer horizon ect,must agree with Dan on the bath on a boat thing i used it once in a fortnight(before anyone says anythingi did shower instead!!!!)but as already said each to there own and pocket cheersbar

having hired Fair Monarch this year,and having booked Fair President for 1 week next may,and Fair Sovereign for 1 week next august and 2 weeks next september i would rather pay the extra for the comfort that these boat have (what i have spent over the last 5 years on hire boats i could have bought my own twice over,or gone on a round the world trip!!!)i have hired older boats Summer horizon ect,must agree with Dan on the bath on a boat thing i used it once in a fortnight(before anyone says anythingi did shower instead!!!!)but as already said each to there own and pocket cheersbar

Hi Paul

i just hope to read the tale after & see the photo's cheersbarcheersbar

Jonny ice sliceice slice