The Cruise Of The "spree" 1914

AdnamsGirl

I was contacted last year about a family journal, documenting a two week holiday on the Broads taken by a group of businessmen from Bath in 1914, which had been discovered in a loft. The family kindly photographed the pages and emailed me the results. My winter project whilst stuck in house sale/move limbo (still ongoing - don't ask!) has been to transcribe the text and remaster the 118 accompanying photos and postcards for Broadland Memories. It's a fabulous read, full of humour, with some lovely images of the holiday party and crew. As always, I am humbled to have been given permission to publish such a precious piece of both family and local history. 

The Cruise of The Seven Bath Chaps on The "Spree" can be found here: http://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/cruiseofspree1914p1.html

kendall14_002a.jpg.6654ac1050fca02392bf33f6322a9f3c.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

What a wonderful historic document and photographs. Like PW above I have scanned through, however given the impending weekend weather It will provide a pleasant distraction from the TV. Many thanks for posting it's inclusion on your excellent site.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChrisB said:

The last day's entry, July 4th is very poignant. In just 24 days the World would change forever. I wonder how many of that crew were ever able to make a return visit.

A humbling thought. I suspect that a number of the crew were what one might have called 'officer class' from which the casualties were proportionately higher than those from 'the ranks'. 

• Like 1

A biscuit factory was probably a "reserved occupation" and they look to be getting on a bit, for an immediate "call up". They may well have volunteered though, as so many did.

Among officers, by far the highest casualties in WW1 were second lieutenants, and lieutenant colonels. This was for the obvious reason that a young subaltern always leads his platoon into battle and a Lt. colonel always leads his battalion.

This is a fascinating story, many thanks Carol!

• Like 2

a wonderful write up and pictures.

I just marvelled at the, how can i put it, liberation of those days, considering how stolid and upstanding people were back then they seem to have had less inhibitions, skinny dipping at the beach, and the young maidens in the boat alone, and allowing themselves to be photographed bathing, shocking, and living at the rectory too.

plus there was erb with his rent in arrears!!