The Legend

ChrisB

On 15/04/2020 at 10:29, Springsong said:

Chelsea never heard of them. The Busby Babes rule ok.

I also have a soft spot for our northern rivals.

Used to enjoy welcoming them when they came to town as they poured out of the tube station and pubs.

Know wot I mean  ' arry.   :445_lifter:

He was one hell of a bloke Bader.

Battle of Britain, as you say, The London to Brighton Run in Genevieve, althought I have always thought it was a funny way to go via Batchworth Heath and West Drayton. But then I suppose his navigation skills were not that great, as Second Officer on the Titanic he was a hell of a way North and drove it into an iceberg.

• Haha 2

When Douglas Bader had an Alvis TD 21 He used to bring it back to the Alvis factory for its service and wait for it as a guest of the Directors while it was being done. He found that his tin legs wouldn’t fit under the table so without further ado the Directors sent for the works carpenter who cut out a large scollop from underneath his part of the table and problem sorted.

Years later when the board room was being refurbished I bought the table and still have it at home over 40 years later 

• Like 6