The Legend

ChrisB

I had the pleasure of meeting Stirling Moss in a previous life. He was contracted, along with other former racing drivers such Martin Brundle, Jackie Stewart and James Hunt, by the Goodyear Tyre Company to drive their customers around a race track for the day.

I have to say that he was an absolute gentleman and without any doubt a superb driver.

R.I.P. and thanks for the memories.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

One of my legends Peter  Bonetti,Chelsea and England Goalkeeper. I saw him many times playing for the blues.A great keeper.He was for many years a coach at the club.RIP Peter.

Yes, an absolute legend for me too . Peter "the Cat" Bonetti. 50years ago since the epic Cup Final and replay against the infamous and star studded Leeds team of the day.

They are running full reruns of the games on the 5th stand (Chelsea FC official app ) just now . Well worth watching to see the cultured Blues overcome the Leeds animals. There wouldn't have been many players left on the pitch if today's tackling laws were applied then ! Bonetti was a star amongst stars for his heroics esp after taking a hard knock early in the replay.

But of course his whole career for Chelsea and England spanned many seasons and I too saw him many times at the Bridge during the late 60's and early 70's. a place I unfortunately don't get to any more since moving away far from SW6. Would like to get behind the goal if possible so often saw him close up.

Thanks for the reminder, Chelsea14Ian.

(i've always liked yr avatar with Ossie )

9 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

My photo is with Ron Harris and Kerry Dixon. I did a tour of the ground. Both had some great stories. Have met Ron twice.

🙌  (should be coloured Green for an envy emoji.)

Got my Kerry and Oz mixed up there - need a bigger screen.

I did have a look at my emoji, its is a bit unclear. Dont know if you are on Facebook, my emoji there is we the two sitting down Pretending to do a press conference. I've  also got a photo  of me with the European cup!Sorry to rub it in.Way back when I worked in the Hotels our team played  an won our cup at Stamford bridge. I didn't  play but spoke with a number of Chelsea  players. Great memories. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, floydraser said:

Barnes Wallis

I actually met Barnes Wallis and got his autograph!  It was in the late 1960s and he came to our school to talk about developing the bomb and then we watched the film.  He lived relatively local to my school in Surrey.  I never met Stirling Moss but my cousin is/was a spitting image of him

The nearest  I got to Douglas Bader was the drivers seat of his TD21 Alvis.

Barnes Wallis one of his bombs and the testing chamber at Brooklands

Chelsea never heard of them. The Busby Babes rule ok.

Sir Stirling Moss once at Silverstone some sixty years ago and again at the festival of speed in the early nineties.

and what an honor that was.