Radio Caroline Founder Dies.

The Millennials amongst  you will probably have no appreciation of the impact of the Pirate Radio stations of the 60's an 70's. The founder of Radio Caroline has just died, RIP. The Radio Caroline Roadshow came to Norwich and Lowestoft several times, and a Caroline ship came into Lowestoft for repairs so pirate radio almost came to The Broads! 

http://www.radiocaroline.co.uk/#home.html

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

7 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

The Millennials amongst  you will probably have no appreciation of the impact of the Pirate Radio stations of the 60's an 70's. The founder of Radio Caroline has just died, RIP. The Radio Caroline Roadshow came to Norwich and Lowestoft several times, and a Caroline ship came into Lowestoft for repairs so pirate radio almost came to The Broads! 

http://www.radiocaroline.co.uk/#home.html

I was a Radion London fan, broadcast 3.5 miles off Frinton from the MV Galaxy. I remember sitting with Judith in the Herald Convertible listening to it's last broadcast on the push button Motorola on top of the hill overlooking West Wycombe, we had benn to the Hell Fire Caves. It was summer 67. 

Totally agree with Peter, London was around for less than three years but along with Caroline impact was profound. Kicking the BBC into the 20th century.

Wonderful days!

Screenshot_20200423-053132_Chrome.thumb.jpg.68bb88641d862ab798a536be661ce518.jpg

• Like 3

Yes such an improvement on Radio Luxembourg.    Kids today (love that expression) have no idea of how wonderful it was to hear what we called 'pop' music rather than Pearl and Teddy Car and Billy Cotton's band on a Sunday I think it was.    The rest was even more boring.

• Like 4

My memories of the BBC back then were the NDO, an effort to be trendy, actually the Northern Dance Orchestra, seemingly a bunch of tired old men playing bland musak without any feeling or emotion, it was truly awful! The Pirates were a breath of fresh air, a sense of rebellion even. Fashion and art followed on with that rebellious spirit, it was an exciting time to be young. 

At one time back then, when I had a riverside shop at Burgh St Peter, I had either Radio Caroline or Veronica on continually for my own sake but customers clearly loved it, helped my sales that was for sure!

• Like 3

I used to have a giggle on Sunday Lunch times. Forces Favourites! Firstly the clandestine way they would never say where they were stationed, just a BFPO number there then followed something like Vera Lynn "We'll meet again" 

I could imagine some poor squaddy getting hell off his mates.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

I used to have a giggle on Sunday Lunch times. Forces Favourites! Firstly the clandestine way they would never say where they were stationed, just a BFPO number there then followed something like Vera Lynn "We'll meet again" 

I could imagine some poor squaddy getting hell off his mates.

Too true.   I can recall Mother even sent a request in for my Uncle Reg serving in the National Service (bring it back) asking for Mr Sandman bring me a dream.   I dont think it ever got played but we had to religiously sit there through many many programmes , which were quite long, for weeks on end.   She was mad to think she had wasted a stamp.

• Haha 2

Worker's Playtime was another cringe worthy BBC classic! 

Actually I rather enjoyed Billy Cotton and Alan Breeze. In later years Alan opened a pub near Bungay at Flixton, The Buck. My wife and I were regulars when we were courting. Lynn could down a yard of ale in 24 seconds, one of Alan's attractions, I never managed to beat her time, not for a lack of trying though! A girl that would sip a Babycham or one that could down a yard of Adnams, no contest! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Billy Cotton was a remarkable man, ex Royal Flying Corps, Hydroplane driver and apparently a fearless Brookelands Racer. On top of his musical talents he was a serial womaniser and his protégé Kathy Kaye and he were lovers for years. Fearne Cotton is part of the clan a Great Niece I think.

Screenshot_20200423-125325.thumb.png.288a0133fc97ff95ff42443d9da9a5e9.png

Screenshot_20200423-125344.thumb.png.0338323156ac41a7ab8f4c5b101278ce.png