2010 Holiday Photos

grendel

I was going through some of my photo albums and found a set of photos from my first broads holiday, way back in August 2010, It amazes me that so many of the boats I saw back then are owned by people I can now count as friends, via the forum.

IMG_9051.JPG

IMG_9036small.jpg

IMG_9050.JPG

• Like 7

Interesting that one, where was it taken? The boat moved from there, wherever it was, down to the end of Acle Dyke where it stayed for a few years. I think it was last year it had moved back up the Bure and was moored at a property close to Salhouse Broad. 

86C73143-435D-4126-A419-83B164351ED6.jpeg

• Like 1

Poor old Doris fell into the ownership of a house builder who knew it all. Lots of hard work, house builder style using materials well suited to houses but not to the wet or damp environment of a wooden boat of some antiquity. An iconic boat that needs a rich and suitably capable owner, something that until now she has regrettably avoided. House builders and boats don't always make good bed-fellows! 

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

Can't remember who built her but the hull looks like Herbert Woods. Rather like "Her Majesty" of Broads Tours.

She was used as a motor houseboat for attending sailing regattas, hence the railings all around the cabin roof, where people used to sit to watch the racing. There was no steering from inside : just the wheel on the aft bulkhead where the skipper stood in all weathers. Inside the aft door was an engine room, with two small petrol engines.

• Like 3

I believe that Doris was built by Brookes, she certainly had Brooke engines. After she was built she was taken to Cowes on the Isle of Wight for Cowes Week. One of the crew was a then young Timmy Fowler whom I got to know in his sixties and seventies. He told me how it was duty to sit in the forward well, all the way to Cowes, bucketing out the waves that broke over her bow. Apparently the well was lined with an old sail in order to make it watertight and it was a pretty near constant job bailing! He didn't volunteer for the return trip.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

No little Vaughan running around and getting in everybody's way then?

I have no memory of that occasion. I am not sure where they had locked me away - probably in the British Prep School system. Only to be let out at weekends!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Poor old Doris fell into the ownership of a house builder who knew it all. Lots of hard work, house builder style using materials well suited to houses but not to the wet or damp environment of a wooden boat of some antiquity. An iconic boat that needs a rich and suitably capable owner, something that until now she has regrettably avoided. House builders and boats don't always make good bed-fellows! 

Like Mr Boardman's beautiful interior of Hathor in Sycamore! Not a wood known to be good on boats. All treated now of course but those woodworm holes are still very visable if you look closely.

However not only boats. In the "Arts & craft" era and movement much effort was made to achieve aesthetics of the highest degree while completely ignoring longevity and ease of maintenance. A walk round Overstrand or indeed How Hill House itself bears that out.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

Like Mr Boardman's beautiful interior of Hathor in Sycamore! Not a wood known to be good on boats. All treated now of course but those woodworm holes are still very visable if you look closely.

However not only boats. In the "Arts & craft" era and movement much effort was made to achieve aesthetics of the highest degree while completely ignoring longevity and ease of maintenance. A walk round Overstrand or indeed How Hill House itself bears that out.

Perhaps I should have been clearer about Hathor. Edward Boardman was responsible for her interior design. She was commissioned by the Colmans as all know.