How’s Hill

CambridgeCabby

If you read the post, I don't think any precedent is being set at all. I doubt the circumstances will ever be replicated again and it will not continue beyond the current owners.

Do you really want to "fight" the issue at a cost to the toll payers? I think its a compromise which isn't ideal, but anyway who would really want it? No facilities and every time you move off for a day out, someone will nick it and you then have to move them off, risking confrontation or a long wait if they have walked off for exercise?

Not my cup of tea anyway.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, marshman said:

I doubt the circumstances will ever be replicated again and it will not continue beyond the current owners.

Marsh, not sure that you are entirely right about that. There are several similar rights of access across Broadland, five that I know of on Oulton Broad and Oulton Dyke, as well as several at Beccles.  In this instance a right to moor is also being claimed which the Authority has apparently acquiesced to.

Well thats what the BA have said currently. I suspect it may become "open to negotiation" when the current owners move on!

As you probably know, the legal eagle on "the other side" has posted at some length - I know nothing about it other than what I have read! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, marshman said:

Spotted that - but who would want it? It offers not a lot as far as I can see! 

Plus all of those Seagulls.  You would be forever cleaning up their deposits.      I also read the post and agree with you it does not really offer a lot.  Different if he/she could build a boat shed there , then it would be more private and not likely to be invaded by people who really would not know of this albeit , new arrangement regarding the mooring. (unless huge PRIVATE signage).   Very popular with fishermen that spot.     When you  went out for the day ,  then you would come back to Harry and his pals all set up for the evening ready to fish.   (the name Harry used just as an example).

Also read that where the BA shed is built , that is really the mooring for this particular property, the BA have done a deal and offered the spot where Brave-heart is moored instead.   Now make of that what you will.     Not sure if that is so or someone's slant on it all.

Whilst I love that mooring for an overnight stop, I certainly wouldn’t want it permanently - even if I did live at the top of the hill. Look at the distance you’ve got to walk to get to the boat with everything you need to transport. No joke when the moorings are full! If it was me, I would be pressing the BA for the mooring actually granted according to the deeds, whether or not the BA have a boat shed there. 

• Like 1

My neighbor has a right of access written into her deeds, as do several other nearby properties. The issue actually popped up this morning in conversation between a retired Borough Solicitor and myself. In this case it does not confer a right to moor, just a right of access and it dates back to the wherry trade. Why it cropped up is that I own the footpath over which he accesses the river bank.

reading through the information there it seems to me that the Authority have "got away with one", having substituted an alternative mooring some considerable distance from the access to one which was nearby it, and been able to negotiate the rights to a permanent mooring out of the deeds at the point of any future sale. I wonder if any financial restitution has been made as par of the agreement?

If that is not so then it would appear that the new owners of the mill have been very accommodating. I did look at the property when it was for sale, and was very close to buying it myself, just 5 balls away!

Having now read a similar thread elsewhere, & digested the information from a certain legally minded beagle of high repute, I have to admit to detecting a feint smell of rotting bream! I am puzzled as to why the Authority is not forthcoming on answering questions that are clearly of public interest. 

• Like 2

Its the "fishing" season Pete, so I suspect its par for the course you can smell something fishy going on, or even a fishy conspiracy!

Stiil its a good sign your olfactory senses are working properly - it means you are still alive and kicking and as suspicious as ever!!!!

:default_biggrin::default_biggrin:

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, marshman said:

or even a fishy conspiracy!

I don't see it as a conspiracy as such but I would like to know why the Authority is less than keen to quite reasonably provide the requested information which is now very clearly of public interest.