Berney Arms

1 minute ago, JennyMorgan said:

It would be interesting to know for sure that Mr Horrocks, rather than the EA, actually owns the shoreline at that point. There is an instance in St Olaves where the land has been built up on the river bed thus the land in question belongs to the Crown. 

My understanding and I don't know for sure either way is that the land is owned by Mr Hollocks, but protected as is the case in lots of other places by the EA. 

• Thanks 2

If I believe Wikipedia then I now understand that the pub was built beside the 'staithe' that served the local community. I once owned Burgh Staithe and as my solicitor put it, I could neither charge for mooring at that point nor could I refuse people the right to moor. Perhaps removing the mooring posts could be regarded as hindering folk's rights to moor against the staithe. Possibly a point worth taking up with the Authority. I think that I shall!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Quite probably, I have a history of Berney tucked away somewhere, I shall have to have a search. I think that the classic 'no easy answer' applies here!

I have just dug out my copy of Berney Arms Remembered by Sheila Hutchinson. If the answer is not in there, it could well be in the book before that one, which I don't have a copy off, The Berney Arms past and present also by Sheila. Just noticed that my copy is also signed by Sheila.

• 2 months later...

News on the grapevine is that The Berney Arms, or more precisely the bistro now has a drinks license. Looks like the pub moorings will be reopened with a charge for mooring refundable in the bistro which is in line with a lot of pub moorings. I understand that it is possible that the moorings may be reopened prior to the bistro opening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...