Berney Arms

3 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Thanks Tom I have just spoken with Howard also ,he said the same as yourself.

Regards  Ian.

I knew NorfolkNog would have his finger on the pulse! Not much gets past him when it comes to pubs and moorings! :default_norty::default_beerchug:

• Haha 1

Just spotted a very well informed and reasoned  post elsewhere regarding the hearing. 

If this is the case it would appear that dialogue with the RSPB was offered and not taken up and the suitability of the proposed licensee was considered. JM provided some background which makes perfect sense. 

Therefore one is left with two possible scenarios - either the application was not made with a lot of thought or preparation or that it was simply going through the motions with other aims in mind.

If it had been me I would have consulted and canvassed support, engaged with the BA and the RSPB and employed a good solicitor. 

More to this than meets the eye one suspects. 

Incidentally I doubt if the place is insured which would probably be difficult if not impossible anyway. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Incidentally I doubt if the place is insured which would probably be difficult if not impossible anyway. 

When I had the Waveney Inn, because of its then desolate, vulnerable location, I had to meet several conditions before I could insure the place. One being that there was a resident manager, 24/7/365 plus a very well protected cellar. Not quite Fort Knox but a fair amount of steel being involved!  Arguably Berney has a higher degree of natural security by virtue of its location and restricted access. 

However, I have to agree with Howard:

1 hour ago, NorfolkNog said:

More to this than meets the eye one suspects. 

• Like 1

Evening all,

As the EDP have decided to omit a large and critical section of our response to their questions from their final article, we are reproducing it below for your information.

It is worth noting that our objection to the application was solely on the grounds of noise disturbance. The hearing by BDC’s licensing panel highlighted that they were not convinced that the applicants had made enough considerations to both noise concerns and health and safety.

The decision summary can be found here: https://youtu.be/MLwOgjYH8YM and the full hearing is also available on BDC’s Youtube channel.

The Authority was approached by Broadland District Council to comment regarding a license application for a bistro in the former shop building next to the Berney Arms pub.

The Authority objected to the initial license application on grounds relating to noise disturbance - the application requested a license to serve alcohol and play music until the very early hours of the morning. The Authority therefore regarded the nature of the application to be inappropriate considering the location of the premises.

We fully appreciate the importance of the hospitality industry to the Broads, both for local residents and visitors to the area. When approached for comment on licensing applications we review each case on an individual basis and will support those that we deem to be acceptable and well-considered.

The remainder of the response to the journalist’s questions was included in the article.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The whole thing is unquestionably a windup! I am not even convinced that there was ever an intention to reopen - how can you possibly ever hope to run any establishment in it that position with no land access - relying on boat trade only, is just not a viable proposition.

I suspect that he thought he may be able to trade off the loss of moorings against the planning permission - or something similar. Nothing has ever been straightforward about that place, and I suspect it is still the same. Whilst it is in a remote part, noise remains a real issue - I suspect poor old PW in Oulton Broad would hear it on a quiet night with a northerly breeze! In fact if you think about it, it would be more of a disturbance in that place, rather than directly next to a car breakers!!!! Sound carries for miles on a quiet evening so perhaps the observation is not as silly as it sounds.

• Like 2

If you go back there was a group of people  that opened up the cafe serving  I believe in the main bottled or canned beer.How can I put it ,a bit new age.Think they posted on the forum for a time. My thoughts at first was perhaps they would  make a success of it.It seemed to fall by the way side.I may be wrong but I feel the same about this now.If I was to apply for a liecence  think I would dot the I,s and cross the T's.Its odd that there moorings  have stayed open in over five years.Now that its been rejected they will no longer  provide  moorings. A smoke screen perhaps.

• Like 1

Well yes, as I've said innumerable times, John and Tracy ran it successfully, they were simply shafted by the rent which was totally disproportionate to the value of the property. The local authority rating guy was horrified. Kill a business through greed. It would cost s fortune to get it going again now of course, opportunity lost.

• Like 3

History has shown that the Berney Arms has been through lean times and long periods of closure since the first licence was issued. No doubt back in the day marsh-men would have kept it going but in today's market a few boat calling in would never pay for the running costs let alone paying any form of wage to the management.  Sadly this establishment is seen through rose coloured glasses at times.

• Like 6

The Berney Arms establishment would probably run best as someone’s ‘hobby’. That someone would of course have to have a penny or two! In these uncertain times though that’s not going to happen. I suppose it will just sit there looking more and more derelict - sad. 

• Like 2

EDP 

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/row-over-future-of-berney-arms-pub-1-6763251

I do believe the Loddon Boatyard is also part of Mr H's empire. 

Looks more and more like the BA and RSPB would co operate if approached in the right manner. 

When developers spit their dummies out it usually means trouble. I'm not suggesting anything of course :default_norty:

• Like 1

No harm in making predictions I suppose. The pub is, unfortunately, abandoned as such and its owner seems to be determined to convert into a private house. If that wasn't the plan then why the change of use application on the outhouse rather than reopening the pub? 

So what now? The landowner has stated that there will be no moorings outside the pub but who is going to enforce that? Unrestricted, free moorings can be attractive. The pub is unused and presumably empty, will there be a caretaker, who will ensure that no one breaks in and dosses there?

It's not a twenty-four hour mooring, exempt from BA mooring regulations . . . . . . . . by now I suspect that you can see what I'm leading up to. I don't think that it will be a pretty sight. On the other hand, if the RSPB warden was to move in. It's not over yet, not by a long chalk.

• Like 1