Grendels Week Aboard Water Rail Featuring The Wooden Boat Show

grendel

Helen when you get up to the mill pond keep to the left and turn near the races, the ranger told me there is a shallow gravel bank just in front of the steps, then return keeping to that same side, for the rest of the trip, keep near the centre as you can see the weeds under the surface near the edges.

You also need to careful lining up for Bishop's Bridge on the return as the last time I did it there were fishermen near it. Just take it nice and slow and enjoy the experience. Aim to be doing it near high tide. If there has been a lot of rain, there might a bit of a current at New Mills so make sure she behaves turning as the sides are brick!!!

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1

she only doesnt respond when turning starboard because the rudder goes too far across and ends up at right angles to the boat at full lock, back it off and you should be ok (this is what happens when someone with an engineering background is let loose on a boat for a week, things get looked at and evaluated)

• Like 1

I oiled the steering pulleys which seemed to make things a bit easier, but under way you have the pressure of the water against the rudder.

she does steer in reverse, but use small movements of the wheel and plan ahead, you need enough way to get flow over the rudder to steer, tickover is enough to achieve steerable reverse (about 1 mph). as long as you are not trying to perform a sharp turn, the steering is enough to reverse along the river, I went all the way into the dyke at the locks from the pond area outside in reverse and managed to get her alongside.

• Thanks 1

they are nothing special, no commentary, just taken as I was cruising along, I have tried to video some of the less travelled places, above low bridges, or like the trip to new Mills, areas where hire boats cannot go, so that others can get a feel for the wonders of the broads that are out there. I am lucky, the camera breaks videos into 18 minute (approx) sections.

some videos are in more than one playlist (some as many as 4 playlists) but the idea is if someone wants to view a particular section of river, then its there as a playlist, I think i may still have some from July still to load, but I will get to those as and when