Grendels Week Aboard Water Rail Featuring The Wooden Boat Show

grendel

Late night and morning on the wild mooring on the Chet, a good night's sleep, early this morning I reset my ropes so that I can slip them from the boat, as I am using a 2x4 I found on the bank as a gang plank, I wouldn't want to be using that once I had untied. So ropes round tree and back to the boat, front and rear, though I did need to lengthen the front rope to manage this. 

Breakfast shortly, followed by a trip up the yare to Norwich, new mills? Maybe, we will give it a try bridge clearances and depth allowing, I did some feeling around with my feet and reckon that as long as we have about 18" we should be fine, but we will take it slow, just in case.

IMG_20200809_153448.jpg

IMG_20200810_052027.jpg

• Like 11

Guest Jayfire
15 hours ago, grendel said:

taking my example from the kids upstream, I decided to have a swim

Must have been a pleasant change to have made the decision beforehand, rather than finding you was doing it unintentionally, eh G??? 

Did the ducks remember you? :default_smiley-angelic002:

16 hours ago, grendel said:

there is a switch that turns off the low voltage alarm on the fridge, thats by the cooker, the fridge switch is at the helm,

I didn't know that!

16 hours ago, grendel said:

steering is via an external wire run and pulleys from the wheel, along the port deck and into the steering area, a 4" deep hatch on the rear deck, I have found if you need to lock the steering in position while moving, standing on the cables achieves this remarkably well.

There is nothing more 'fun' than someone standing on the steering cables as you are trying to do a difficult mooring manoeuvre! Hope you enjoy your trip up into Norwich and make it to New Mills?

• Haha 1

yes I made it to new mills, chickened out and turned in the entrance to the mill pond, however when I moored up the ranger at the yacht station did say, there is a gravel bank in the middle, stick to the left and turn by the mill races, then come back the way you went in.

• Like 1

I did yave a run in with a saily type at Beachamps Arms, who told me I should have passed behind him, well I was I started to pass behind when he was on starboard tack, i knew it would be tight as I was punching the tide, but what I wasnt expecting was for him to turn short at the end of his starboard tack and bear straight down on me, I had worked out that if he turned where he had on other tacks he would just have cleared, but no he turned short, for me to have turned to pass behind him now would have put me on a reciprocal course heading bow to bow, he crossed the river so quick and was obviously intent on proving his point, so i was stuck now in his way with no other way to go than straight forward, i was trying to pass astern, but he was too quick with his short tack to allow that. another case of sailies trying to prove a point i think, I dont think ther was anywhere on the river I could hasve been and not been in his way had he so desired.

Other than that, and all the canoists and paddle boarders. it was a nice trip, punching the tide most of the way, but managing at least 4.5mph.

I also en route detoured through thorpe, briefly tying up for a comfort break and check cameras, and to put my tablet out of the sun as it had shut down due to getting too hot.

• Like 5

Oh he'll Peter, please tell me you didn't take any pics of our other boat. We weren't able to clean her before we left with Lady Linda. She will be filthy and still covered with a white(?) tarp. No more info. Psst....how much not to publish, could be a drink in it for you :default_beerchug:

Enjoy your stay.

Colin 

20 hours ago, w-album said:
On 09/08/2020 at 19:11, grendel said:

there is a switch that turns off the low voltage alarm on the fridge, thats by the cooker, the fridge switch is at the helm,

I didn't know that!

actually I have since foind it turns the inverter on and off, my bad hearing i guess.

1 hour ago, grendel said:

actually I have since foind it turns the inverter on and off, my bad hearing i guess.

I was wondering that!  There is a pull out switch there (like the fridge switch) which turns on the plug/inverter there.  Also two points one in the front cabin and the back for one of those USB stick things.  Whatever they are called

well a nice little cruise to Surlingham Broad, managed to get the prop weeded up once, but have found a nice spot to mudweight 4 boats already here, already up to 9 since i arrived, and here i was thinking it would be a quiet spot.

kettles on and its hot, cruised today with the screen down but the canopy up as a sunshade.

• Like 10

Not sure where I want to end up today, but really it will need water and shore power to top up the batteries. its a gorgeous morning with the mist over surlingham broad, so it will be a quick breakfast and then off. (mainly to get the fridge going, its not as cold as it might be.) I did do 2 hours cruising yesterday, but that obviously doesnt quite top the battery fully, slowly learning the ways of this old girl

• Like 4

2 hours ago, grendel said:

Not sure where I want to end up today, but really it will need water and shore power to top up the batteries. its a gorgeous morning with the mist over surlingham broad, so it will be a quick breakfast and then off. (mainly to get the fridge going, its not as cold as it might be.) I did do 2 hours cruising yesterday, but that obviously doesnt quite top the battery fully, slowly learning the ways of this old girl

She does need a bit of a run and high rev count to keep those batteries topped up especially in this hot weather.  Hope you left the batteries set to 2 not 1 or both otherwise you might have struggle starting her?  I am afraid at Barton Regatta I have to run the engine during the day, to keep the fridge working.

When filling up the water do it slowly, it if appears to be very full very quickly, the air lock between the two tanks will have kicked in.  Clue to completely full tanks is water flowing freely from the front washbasin without the pump on!  Also don't let the tank overflow too much otherwise you might have a wet bunk especially on the port side!!!!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, w-album said:

Clue to completely full tanks is water flowing freely from the front washbasin without the pump on!  Also don't let the tank overflow too much otherwise you might have a wet bunk especially on the port side!!!!

I love it!

Oh, the joys of classic boats!

• Like 3

the issue it that there is a weep from the starboard water tank, thus it is half emptying through the day, requiring more regular top ups, I had an early sail this morning 7.15 start from the broad, bacon butties beside me on a plate and coffee in hand, I had a pleasant cruise at 2000 revs all the way, and eventually turned right into the chet, still at almost 2000 revs as instead of going with the tide, i was punching what was coming out of the chet, as i came down I passed several boats headed the other way so despite there being some nice moorings at pyes mill (in the shade of the trees), I opted for the basin where there were quite a few spaces, moored next to the corner only to find the electric post there was already occupied on the point i had a cable for, walked the boat down the key a few spaces and got on the next electric point - £1.76 still in credit, that will do me, off to get some bread and butter, and some shower tokens. so electric and showers were the main reason I stuck for the basin today. sun is now getting hot.

• Like 6

just popped across the road to the shop, bread, butter and milk obtained, a couple of chilled drinks, and 3 shower tokens, 2 for today and one for tomorrow morning, preparing now t rest out the heat of the day doing as little as possible.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, w-album said:

She does need a bit of a run and high rev count to keep those batteries topped up especially in this hot weather.  Hope you left the batteries set to 2 not 1 or both otherwise you might have struggle starting her?  I am afraid at Barton Regatta I have to run the engine during the day, to keep the fridge working.

When filling up the water do it slowly, it if appears to be very full very quickly, the air lock between the two tanks will have kicked in.  Clue to completely full tanks is water flowing freely from the front washbasin without the pump on!  Also don't let the tank overflow too much otherwise you might have a wet bunk especially on the port side!!!!

We had the same issue with the fridge but now we have two leisure batteries we have been ok this week. Our water tank has to be filled very slowly or it only fill one side, it might have something to do with the balance pipe being only inch diameter  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brundallNavy said:

We had the same issue with the fridge but now we have two leisure batteries we have been ok this week. Our water tank has to be filled very slowly or it only fill one side, it might have something to do with the balance pipe being only inch diameter  

WR has three domestic and one to start.  Didn't realise there was a leak from the starboard water tank, that would explain a constant supply of water in the bilge!!!

2 hours ago, grendel said:I passed several boats headed the other way so despite there being some nice moorings at pyes mill (in the shade of the trees), I opted for the basin where there were quite a few spaces, moored next to the corner only to find the electric post there was already occupied on the point i had a cable for, walked the boat down the key a few spaces and got on the next electric point 

Judging by the number that has just passed us I guess it’s now pretty full.