Wroxham In August!..

I think quite a few yards are turning boats around on Fridays too. It’s been pretty quite in most of the places we have been throughout August, from Friday mornings until later in the afternoon. Under Wroxham bridge has been very quite plenty of spare moorings at Coltishall last Saturday. Sunday morning on our way back to Wroxham was just a precession of boats 10-15 heading to Coltishall. Water levels have been around 7’ to 6’9” ish at the bridge.

i guess the time the pilot turns in for the day and boats leave the hire yards has something to do with the amount of boats getting under the bridge on Fridays and Saturdays more recently? 

Cheers 

Paul 

24 minutes ago, PCL023 said:

i guess the time the pilot turns in for the day and boats leave the hire yards has something to do with the amount of boats getting under the bridge on Fridays and Saturdays more recently? 

I think Barnes take their own boats through. I wonder whether the new handover processes have Iimited their time to do so. Or availability of their staff. 

I'm at Wroxham too tonight but below the bridge in Barnes boatyard. I stopped for a short time at Ranworth this afternoon and at one point I counted no less than 5 empty spaces. I guess Friday starters hadn't had time to get there and Saturday starters were on their way back to base. 

Of course schools should be going back this week. The bank holiday Monday is as late as it can be this year. So maybe families are now having to get ready for children to go back to school this week and not able to be away on holiday. Everything I'm reading on social media sounds as if the boatyards are still really busy for September though. I had a week out in September a few years back ... I would have to think twice before doing that again. I think so many couples had waited for the school holidays to be over that we were mooring up at lunchtime and not moving on because everywhere was so busy.

September is 100% booked from what I've heard, Jean. It's been busy this week, of course but I've had no issues with mooring for the night, generally between 4 and 5. I've been to the North Broads in August enough times to know where to go though and I appreciate newbies aren't in that position. 

• Like 1