A Toxic Mix At Ranworth

Wussername

It was some three weeks ago that I decided to drive down to Ranworth/Malthouse broad. Parked the car opposite the Post Office Shop and proceeded to walk around the green. It was indeed a carnival   atmosphere with children laughing, cheering, shouting and generally doing what children do.........having fun, enjoying themselves. The parents were lounging about by their boats and on their boats enjoying the wonderful sunshine.

I meandered along the dyke opposite the dingy dyke until I reached the end which enabled me to observe where all the noise and shrieking was coming from. It was very evident.

Several children were involved. At the very entrance to the dyke. In the dyke were five or six hire boats or private boats.

The children, were enjoying the water. Two, about 8 or ten years old, were on a paddle board. Three were on a Lillo type floating mattress. One was just swimming about.

At any one time all were swimming. Several feet into the broad, several feet into the navigation area.

Boats were preparing to leave; boats were jostling for that all important advantage to gain a mooring that had been vacated. These were not rowing boats but some 40ft hire boats in control of experienced helm. Some were not experienced.   

At the same as this scene unfolded another was taking place. Coming down the dyke from the River Bure onto Malthouse broad itself a large hire sailing cruiser made a majestic entrance under full sail. On reaching the broad it turned to port and proceeded to “cruise” the broad, being helmed seemingly effortlessly supported by an able crew. The craft turned, passed several craft mud weighting.

Having completed its run the boat started to repeat the exercise again.

What followed next was quite amazing. Figures were seen of young people on the boat running down the deck of the boat under full sail and at regular intervals jumping of the stern. From a distance it was reminiscent  of a craft launching depth charges. There was now a situation where four or five people were in the water separated by a distance of some 15 feet between each swimmer in the middle of the broad.

The sailing craft on more than one occasion passed through the swimmers. Thankfully no other boats were competing with each other for the same piece of water.

I have in the past been in a situation in charge of a motor cruiser where I have come across people swimming in front of me. One can be relatively high up on a motor cruiser some more than others. However even from this vantage point it may not come as a surprise to hear how difficult it is to see a small brown head in brown murky waters.

In a sailing cruiser you are much lower down, your field of vision can be challenged by the main sail and the jib. In fact the sailing cruiser is or can be a movable feast of forever changing circumstances not particularly suited for navigating in such conditions. Many are highly manoeuvrable but are limited to mans ability to anticipate others actions.

So, there you have it. My observation of the day. To my mind a toxic mix, a disaster waiting to happen.

We as a community including the hire industry as well as the private boater  can ill afford a repeat of events over the last few weeks.

Perhaps a suggestion could be considered and that is for a Ranger to be in attendance on a regular basis. Not perhaps by boat but by road visiting the well known moorings. Meeting people, advising, simple instruction, partaking of local knowledge. Not to replace the Rangers boat but to compliment this tradition and service for everyones benefit, to restore etiquette and just as important discipline for the well being of us all.   

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

"But its water innit?"

Regular topic of mine. 

You go on holiday, play on the beach, have a swim

you go to local swimming pool, play around

you go to my local gravel pit and drown.

Every year people drift out to sea on an inflatable. Every year people get caught out on beach with tides.

Water has a good PR company, parents may know awful things happen but not here.

I once pointed out to a parent in Cornwall that letting your kids swim in an entrance to a harbour is a bit like letting your kid play on the edge of a road. She considered it, then called her kids back. Five minutes later a fishing boat came in on a rising tide.

Things move slowly on the Broads - until they don't. What helm has 100% concentration on the river? and on other posts I've pointed out ive nearly hit people in the water and they was adults swimming on a corner on the Ant.

If the Broads was a raging sea, it would be a different matter but because its so calm- what's the worst that can happen?

until it does and you watch the boater get the blame. Then there will be a campaign to make vessels give way to any human powered craft and swimmers.

• Like 1