Gear Box

If I need to top up gear box oil is it where the square bolt head is just left of centre in the first photo? How do I check the level please?

In the second photo (if they come out in the right order) there is this 'thing' which stands about a centimetre proud of the casing. It is loose to the touch but seems as if it's supposed to be that way. It can be depressed but there is no thread to tighten or loosen. What might that be? 

I don't know what type the gearbox is, the engine is a good old BMC 1.5

image.jpg

IMG_20201001_102905.jpg

Many thanks indeed Vaughan, I'm slowly learning things way out of my comfort zone. I always think it's best to ask questions and learn rather than make a mistake and learn... either way though, it's good to learn! 👍

The Borg Warner is an excellent gearbox which has an excellent history in Broads boats.  It is one of those things which proves Sod's Second Law of Engineering :

"If it is running well, you don't need to bugger about with it".

The Austin BMC 1.5 diesel (known as the Newage Captain) was first fitted in the London black taxi cabs and is also a solid, reliable and iconic engine.

So your boat is very well equipped!   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The 2.2 and 2.5 were fitted to FX2 London Taxis. The 2.2 was popular in the Austin Gypsy too. I don't think the 1.5 was ever used in taxis. They were used in the diesel versions of the Morris Oxford and other Cowley vehicles and were popular in tractors too. 

The Velvet Drive gearbox probably has ATF in it. It likes light oils. Multigrade oils are unsuitable. Level check should be done when the oil is at operating temperature. Do not open the cap whilst the engine is running. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Vaughan said:

The Borg Warner is an excellent gearbox which has an excellent history in Broads boats.  It is one of those things which proves Sod's Second Law of Engineering :

"If it is running well, you don't need to bugger about with it".

The Austin BMC 1.5 diesel (known as the Newage Captain) was first fitted in the London black taxi cabs and is also a solid, reliable and iconic engine.

So your boat is very well equipped!   

The 1.5 I was familiar with in my early childhood being the plant of the succession of Wolseley 1500’s & Riley 1.5’s that graced the driveway before the chassis & bodies rotted around. I’ve seen reference in tractor circles to the B.M.C diesel being a conversion of the petrol units but a boat builder who worked with my dad at Woods in the 70s told me they rejigged engine beds on the dieselification (if that’s a word) project, which would suggest the engines retrofitted were diesel to begin with and not conversions of the incumboaunt petrols. What is beyond doubt is that they are a reliable long living lump, I note the engine repair centre at Briston has shut up shop recently, just hope there are workshops around still that can attend to reconditioning them when (eventually if ever) necessary.

• Like 2

Calcutt boats at Southam in the Midlands rebuild BMC diesels. I have had one done by them. Quite satisfied with it, However, middle son has since turbocharged it as the 4-108 Perky was quicker than the 1.5 BMC in a similar Elysian hull! He still isn't quicker!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Turnoar said:

edit...

What is beyond doubt is that they are a reliable long living lump, I note the engine repair centre at Briston has shut up shop recently, just hope there are workshops around still that can attend to reconditioning them when (eventually if ever) necessary.

Yes, sadly, LA Whitmore has closed due to retirement. They were excellent. 

I would fit a BMC in a hire boat over a modern engine any day of the week. As Bullet-proof as you can get if well-maintained. 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Turnoar said:

I note the engine repair centre at Briston has shut up shop recently, just hope there are workshops around still that can attend to reconditioning them when (eventually if ever) necessary.

The Canal and River Trust recondition BMC engines. They often advertise their engines for sale on fleabay and will take yours as a part exchange. 

• Like 1