Excited And Wary

Hi all got excited about our holiday on the broads which should start today from stalham couldn't settle back home so drove from Sheffield yesterday and stopped over night in the nelson Premier Inn Norwich.

Also wary of a few things like bridges,tying ropes when mooring and all the things I have been reading about tides and slack water etc.

I have got my nbn sticker are you allowed to put it in the window of a hire boat?

Hope to see you all soon if your there we will be on the stargem2 x

• Like 2

You'll be fine, make a list and ask at your handover, if unsure ask again, bridge heights wont be a problem with that boat!

You'll find tide tables in your captains manual (assuming you get one in these times) there is a website which is great for tides, if no-one posts it I'll post it later, down load the app 'aweigh' which is great

Take it slow and enjoy yourselves and welcome!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

there are two types, the permenant adhesive and the static cling type, the static ones are easy to remove, so they can be used on a hire boat, the others can be used on a private boat, but are not easily removable, so it depends which type you got.

and the most important thing to remember, is to do things slowly, its far better to just creep in to a mooring than come in at full speed. much better to have a safe mooring on the third attempt than come in too fast, you need forward power to get steerage, so best line up and use just a touch of reverse .to get you heading into a stern mooring, or better still if anyone volunteers to walk you in on the ropes, thats a great way to come in to a tight mooring space.

• Thanks 1

If you mean the badge you print off on a piece of paper then sure, put it in the window.

Mooring: Get the guy that does your trial run to show you how to tie the boat (that's partly what he's there for) after that it's just practice. If you are staying north the tides aren't really a problem as the difference in water heights between high and low tide are fairly small. The nearer you get to Yarmouth the greater they are.

As someone has said, download the 'Aweigh' app, that will tell you which way the tides is going wherever you are.

And enjoy :)

• Thanks 1

Try this for tides

This will give you low water at certain places add 5h 15m on for high tide so you can calculate the flow, however as I once a year boater, sometimes the rivers dont do what they are told!  :default_icon_e_surprised:

Dont be afraid to pull out of mooring if you dont feel comfortable and do it again, no-one will laugh at you, if they do they are idiots, we all make mistakes!

Take it slow

http://www.norfolk-broads.org/tides/tide_report.asp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PaulMargaret said:

Hi all got excited about our holiday on the broads which should start today from stalham couldn't settle back home so drove from Sheffield yesterday and stopped over night in the nelson Premier Inn Norwich.

Also wary of a few things like bridges,tying ropes when mooring and all the things I have been reading about tides and slack water etc.

I have got my nbn sticker are you allowed to put it in the window of a hire boat?

Bless your hearts, please, please don't worry, the guys at Richardson's are really helpful, make a list and ask away, they will only be too happy to help

Once out on the rivers just take it slow, relax and enjoy. There will be plenty of help if you need it so just ask. Most people I have come across on the rivers are more than pleased to lend a hand

You may come across the odd miserable g*t, just flash them a smile and tell them you hope they don't fall in or anything :default_norty: or words to that effect :default_biggrin:

I've been on the Star Gem class many years ago, they are lovely boats and very spacious

Have a lovely time x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PaulMargaret said:

Hi,

As others have said, don't worry, mention any concerns at the handover Richardsons are very good and won't want you to leave the yard if you aren't happy. Enjoy yourself, most people will be only too happy to offer any help you require.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are able to access the internet whilst on board, look at some basic knot tying. (There may be guidance in your skipper’s manual too.) There are loads of YouTube videos and other websites. A round turn and two half hitches is a good knot for a mooring post as is the good old clove hitch. Both are very easy. Don’t wind your ropes round and round the mooring posts as some do, take the loose end back on board and secure It to a cleat. 
Do take an early opportunity to read your skipper’s manual, it’s something that all too often gets ignored but the information in there will be invaluable.

As others have said, take it slow and steady and above all enjoy.