turbo 36 down to 1 engine back from southwold

Some will remember this happening to me before :( and the last problem was down to fuel pipes routed wrong but as it turned out it was half the problem.

This time we departed from GT Yarmouth and cruised down to southworld in nice seas at about 19 knots with no issues.

We had nice couple of days there and then started back, by which time the weather had turned a bit and we were faced with a 3 foot short chop on the nose which in the turbo was nothing to worry about and we headed out at around 22 knots. Then at around one 3rd distance we had the fuel problem again and after a period of the power coming and going the engine gave up and cut out. I went down into the engine compartment to change the racor series 900 filter and when I opened it the chamber was empty so I could not restart the engine. We finished the journey at 9 knots on one engine.

I had the day there today with Jonathan (crackerjack) where i fitted a new lift pump which made no difference :evil: . I had blown through the fuel pipe and the pipe to tank was clear so I took the flexi hose off from the tank feed to the racor and this is when we found the problem, I blew though the hose and it was blocked. on further inspection we noticed that the banjo bolt holes we 8mm and the banjo and pipe were about 2mm so any small debre could not get to the filter. Now these are the new hoses that nya (or who done the work for them) fitted for the bss when i purchased the boat the same people who plumbed it up wrong in the first place. This is crazy as the engineers who work for these companys should realise the danger they put people in as I was lucky it only affected one engine. We have now fitted 8mm flexi and banjo's and checked the condition of the tanks (alot cleaner than expected) so I am hoping this problem will be fixed.

Any tips or advice on what I have done or need to do in the future will be great.

cheersbar Barry

Looks like you have it covered Barry, a series of 2mm holes might be enough for a boat with clean tanks, clean fuel and not drawing a lot but for a boat like yours is really insufficient considering the debris likely to be presen., It’s probably what the mechanic (please, not engineer) had available to him. I hear more and more stories about dissatisfied boat owners with issues ranging from the minor and irritating through misdiagnosis to the potentially dangerous. It really does seem to be an issue finding a good marine mechanic for larger engined boats. I imagine you will be checking the primary filter on the other engine soon if you have not already done so.

Sorry but i bought a boat (current one) from nya and quiete frankly i,d think 5 times before buying another from them..incidently they use a seperate comany to do thier work...but shoot me down if wrong but thier in the same group ?.Apart from telling me a bare faced lie there have been numerous things wrong with the boat ..one nearly cost me an engine which involved a warning siren.

Not impressed to tell you the truth , oh forgot to mention the 1/2 the size massey fergesun tractor filter :o fitted to one engine...i could go on!!

Hi,

Having made in my time a million or so Banjo bolts, I know what sort of problems they can have. When you fit a new one check the bores are clean (and the correct number of holes are there) and there is no burr or swarf in the cross holes. Using a new washer each time is very important. Tightening torque is also critical as the cross hole reduces the strength of the bolt and if overtightened will elongate and snap.

I no longer make them as the contract went to Eastern Europe and then somewhere even cheaper :(

Ian :Sailing

Hi

NYA is all the same group as the repair yard.

We did go through the whole system on both engines so fingers crossed.

I think a company like NYA who has an ex lifeboat man working for them should know better :norty: .

I have not gone back to them because we already had other problems that they said they would sort but you guessed it they did not do the jobs theys agreed to do .

cheersbar Barry

Hope it is not representative of NYA customer service as in previous years they have had a very good name.

Unfortunately you are not the first to have a bad experience recently even with stock boats, maybe it is down to squeezed margins or a person within the arm that is supposed to carry out the work but whatever it is it won't take long to destroy a reputation.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

What an interresting and very informative thread to read?. I often look at NYA`s brokerage site and see what they have available, as i`m always dreaming that one day i may be in a position to buy a boat, and they`ve always got a good selection. However, after reading the reports and comments on this thread, i`l think seriously about going elsewhere, or spending a lot more time ensuring EVERYTHING is done to contract. As with anything you buy, if the paperwork and reciepts etc are in a specific companies name, then they are LEGALLY responsible, and answerable to the customer. As for Baz`s misfortune, i`m sure the Trading standards office or even the Ombudsman would be VERY interrested to hear about it, especially when you consider that taken to the extreme, it`s not beyond possibility this could have lead to the loss of life when you consider the weather conditions offshore etc. I`m just glad to hear Baz and family, crew etc got back safe and sound. Regards to all ............. Neil.

Hi all,

Hope all is now well and working Barry.

I know one of the experienced chaps there has left Brundall recently.

Ive just arranged for our boat to come out and have the anodes replaced.......ive told them we want aluminium...and was told that was fine but they didn't know if that was available for the trim tabs so on there they would put zinc.......this didn't sit comfortably with me remembering back from school physics/chemistry... so i called our surveyor for advice......use of different materials would not protect the boat from electrolysis, so i called to insist they also use aluminium there too. Surely they should know this??

What other places can people recommend?

Hi all,

Ive just arranged for our boat to come out and have the anodes replaced.......ive told them we want aluminium...and was told that was fine but they didn't know if that was available for the trim tabs so on there they would put zinc.......this didn't sit comfortably with me remembering back from school physics/chemistry... so i called our surveyor for advice......use of different materials would not protect the boat from electrolysis, so i called to insist they also use aluminium there too. Surely they should know this??

Hi

Right i will probably get shot down over this but, I have read several times that if your boat is on the river and is only out to sea a few weekends and the odd week a year then you should use magnesium anodes. there is a boat in our marina that fitted aluminium anodes and after two year they are like new but his duo props were missing there blades.

I hear goodchilds are first class

cheersbar see you soon at reedham

G&A wrote:

Hi all,

Oh lord and they purport to be Marine Engineers........... you made the right decision in seeking advice elsewhere!

There is currently only one place on the Broads I would trust with our ship (I say currently as previously I would have included Broom) Goodchilds.

As for anodes

http://www.mgduff.co.uk/leisure-craft/c ... ction.html

Of course aluminium anodes are available for trib tabs! I bought them for Serenity from the same people Perry has supplied a link to. They have been on a year now, along with the aluminium anodes I fitted to the drives and transom shield at the same time. They are doing their job having been slightly corroded away, but still plenty left for another couple of years. The props were untouched by corrosion with only a slight bit of electrolysis on the drive casings that was already there.

As for the place in Brundall, Gav, my opinion is DON'T! They recommended completely the wrong antifoul to me last year, and I have invoices from the previous owners for work that was carried out that was not needed. There were a number of issues I had to sort out when I bought Serenity that had apparently already been done.

Hi all,

There are two seperate places in Brundall-previously we have used Brundall marine services, as we are this time, and always had good service. The other place that will remain nameless we have not heard good reports about.

Mark-have you got Aluminium legs? If so, any problems with also having Aluminium anodes?

Hi Barry-I was advised magnesium for mainly river use, fresh water, zinc for a combination of sea and brackish water, aluminium for about half and half sea and brackish...........but as with all things boat..........

Hi Annie,

Have used Aluminium on both our boats and they have been fantastic for both Burgh Castle and Reedham.

We only use Performance Metals anodes that are specially formulated for the aluminium of the particular drive. You can buy cheap ones but I wouldn't risk it, you may well find that the anodes on the boat Baz refers to were sourced from the local car boot for £5 each.

Performance metals claim a life 3 times that of zinc in Salt and 5 times the life of Magnesium in Brackish/fresh, I have seen nothing to make me question this and they are always part worn. As long as the anode is more reactive than the drive it will protect, if they can make them slightly more reactive then they will protect for longer.

Magnesium in salt will be gone in a couple of weeks.

Mark-have you got Aluminium legs? If so, any problems with also having Aluminium anodes?

No, it's just the way I stand!!

Yes, we have Aluminium legs. As Ian has said, we also used anodes for the legs from Performance Metals, but the trim tab anodes were from M G Duff as Perry linked to. No problems at all, and they are working exactly as they should. Now being based at Reedham, I don't think magnesium would not last long due to the brackish nature of the water. The aluminium the anodes are made of are a different alloy to that used for the legs, so corrode in preference to the legs. I was a bit suspicious of using ally on ally last year, but having seen how they have worked, I am pleased with how they are performing.

There is currently only one place on the Broads I would trust with our ship (I say currently as previously I would have included Broom) Goodchilds.

Absolutely. they are THE people to talk/listen to... NOT the cheapest but THE BEST! :clap:clap:clap

We have used them for nigh on 25 years and ALWAYS been more than satisfied...

....we don't have shares, either! :naughty::naughty:

Hockham Admiral wrote:

Absolutely. they are THE people to talk/listen to... NOT the cheapest but THE BEST! :clap :clap :clap

What price doing it right ;)

They are the only Marine Engineering business that quoted me for work and then invoiced under the quote as the work took less time than they had anticipated :grin:

If its good enough for the RNLI it is good enough for me.