Rip "winkle"

Aw, what a shame. Real character. I believe he bought the pub from Brent Walker, he had been there a while. I remember going in with the previous Mrs Nog. No one behind the bar. One of the locals shouted that someone wanted serving. I think he was upstairs - possibly even in bed! He shouted down that they (us) couldn't be local or they would have served themselves! He sold proper cider - the former Mrs N had a couple of halves and had a distinct wobble on back to the boat. 

There was the old tale about him hiring out coats in the winter as he wouldn't light the fire. 

I think someone on here may have posted how he got his name - and it wasn't to do with shellfish! 

You don't get the characters running pubs these days - its great shame. 

• Like 1

I can remember going in there in the late 70s, and asking at the counter if they did food. The guy said nothing, but handed me a business card which read "If your looking for bar meals - you've come to the wrong place!" Everybody at the bar laughed. Clearly, he was always being asked. We did return in the 90s (I think), when they did indeed do food! 

• Like 2

I remember him deciding to drive our entire 'lads' week back to the moorings (probably because most were having trouble standing, let alone walking) in his elderly van. As I have a gammy leg I got the front seat. I was fumbling about feeling for the sliding door to shut when a voice came from behind the wheel "Thas no good looking for the door, boy, there hint one - hold you on tight!" A proper character. RIP. 

• Like 1

Yes his cook was Scottish he got left behind when his boat went back to Scotland he didn't know the way back so ended up at winkle's where there was plenty of beer,  he use to go to Lowerstorft on Friday morning to get the cod from the docks. John

• Like 1

Were it not for this forum I doubt that I'd have heard about this.

Back in the late '70s Ray – I knew him as Ray – used to regularly come south my local, The Highlands in Gorleston, to play darts on his night off. Our darts team were in the same division in the Norwich Brewery league and away matches were always, err, ...memorable.

Sad news. 

• Like 1