Graveyards.

JennyMorgan

Where do old boats go to die? There have been several graveyards around the Broads over the years. Seems that it is a growing problem along the Coast. Some interesting points of view in the following link. Food for thought. All to often boats are seemingly abandoned.

http://nickardley.com/ditch-crawler-wonders-about-the-future/

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

the acrid cloud over Brundall blocking out the sun!

Mine is going to do that over thorpe, I may warn the fire brigade in case someone reports a huge fire.

Being a volvo thing it's mostly white smoke on startup so may just send the pope into a panic thinking he's been replaced.

• Haha 3

When doing research into the subject of abandoned & semi abandoned boats a couple of years ago I came across two substantial EU Reports ( remember them) from around 2010 over concerns over the disposal of Fibre Glass Craft when they reached the end of their useful lives so clearly a Europe & probably World Wide problem.

Even undated info from RYA

https://www.rya.org.uk/newsevents/e-newsletters/inbrief/Pages/end-life-of-boats.aspx

Edited by Bytheriver
Link added

26 minutes ago, floydraser said:

As shown before ages ago, this is the boat parked behind mine. As said somewhere in the OP link, as long as they pay the fees....

Just before lockdown though, the owners turned up and cleaned it! :facepalm:

Green Boat.png

I must admit, I’ve seen worse. It doesn’t take long for a boat to look unloved. I wonder how it looks now...........🤔

• Like 1

A few years ago  (don't know  the present situation) on the old West river there used to be an area of riverside land that was littered with  old abandoned hulks.  Some half in half out the water. One of these  had an open hatch on the deck right forward on rhe bow. Apparently so the story went, in the cabin below was the head and if you used it you were obliged to stick your head out of the hatch  whilst doing so due to the lack of head room!

Carole

1 hour ago, addicted said:

Apparently so the story went, in the cabin below was the head and if you used it you were obliged to stick your head out of the hatch  whilst doing so due to the lack of head room!

Very true story! Very sociable when moored stern-on against your neighbours. Up would pop the forward hatch followed by someone's head and shoulders. Folk are creatures of habit and a pre-cast-off crap is part of the routine. Said crappers could strike up a conversation with their fellow boaters, discussing their plans for that day. All part of the joys of boating back in the day. 

• Haha 5

A few years ago  (don't know  the present situation) on the old West river there used to be an area of riverside land that was littered with  old abandoned hulks.  Some half in half out the water. One of these  had an open hatch on the deck right forward on rhe bow. Apparently so the story went, in the cabin below was the head and if you used it you were obliged to stick your head out of the hatch  whilst doing so due to the lack of head room!

Carole

Just around the corner from twenty pence if I remember rightly, all wooden boats so not quite as bad as grp, at least they will mostly rot away eventually.

• Like 1

Thanks for that Peter. I was never sure about that story or whether someone was pulling my leg.

Carole

It is perfectly true, both on the Broads and along the coast. I have a cartoon somewhere with a number of small boats anchored up in an inlet and their skippers are all discussing the important matters of life, sailing,  whilst passing the time of the day, so to speak. Some sailing boat owners tended to be a tad more modest than others and rigged a tent like structure over the forepeak, as in the background of this picture. Legend has it that one skipper, complete with the galloping runs, once directed his crew whilst racing during a regatta, ensconced on the heads in the forepeak!

Wherry Reindeer.jpg

• Thanks 1