Development At Brooms

Mouldy

54 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Brundall has very few public moorings anyway and it is a hike up hill to the shops.

At least shore based accomadation will usually have a car to go to the local shops.

Boat services are mainly used by local based boats and are all behind on the riveride estate.

The fact that Brooms are investing in the site must be a good sign, at least mid term.

I am not sure the pods would be for me, all in close proximity but they will appeal to a certain market.

The site would be more likely to be developed for housing if it lacked investment or was closed and derelict.

As someone else has remarked, my feeling that this is a tentative application that will more than likely not get passed.  The fact that the site cannot generate sufficient income to be financially viable can then be used as an excuse to close it down for redevelopment into riverside accommodation with moorings, which can be sold at inflated prices due to the location.

I really don’t think that the long term thinking is to keep the land as a boatyard.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, floydraser said:

Where ever people shop, they will have already paid rates/rent into the local economy. The people who make the decisions will balance up the potential between industry and residential. An old, dying boat yard has little chance in an economy where people want luxury apartments overlooking water. However, if they changed business to manufacturing batteries for electric cars, with all the subsidies that would bring, things could go the other way.

Good point well made. 
I just don’t want the river and it’s trade to become like a decorative ornament to whatever town. 
I know it’s different on many levels but I was on the redevelopment of st Katherines dock and Surrey dock and the success they made of it compared to the mess some of the old London basins became. Houses with a view of an empty stretch of water that no one visits.

The marina at Surrey docks is council owned, makes money and is over subscribed. St kats is a rich play ground but it wasn’t at the beginning. 
just floating ideas. 
I’d love to see a public owned marina

• Like 1

There be out pricing themselves on those cabins.. Like They have on there boats...

Once Covid restrictions have gone and the Benidorm boaters have gone back ... There be wanting there old loyal customers to come back and wanting them to pay the crazy prices... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cheesey69 said:

Good point well made. 
I just don’t want the river and it’s trade to become like a decorative ornament to whatever town. 
I know it’s different on many levels but I was on the redevelopment of st Katherines dock and Surrey dock and the success they made of it compared to the mess some of the old London basins became. Houses with a view of an empty stretch of water that no one visits.

The marina at Surrey docks is council owned, makes money and is over subscribed. St kats is a rich play ground but it wasn’t at the beginning. 
just floating ideas. 
I’d love to see a public owned marina

I think the best you can hope for is a development sympathetic to the areas history, which could happen. There are plenty of new houses going up, with retro styling. Near to me they are about to complete a small, upmarket development of houses with external chimney breasts, retro style rainwater guttering (stainless steel!) and even imitation bricked up windows!