Development At Brooms

Mouldy

Parking on site is indeed at a premium. We had to park between the entrance and railway when we were on Moonlight Shadow last week and we were not very happy to find the car had some minor scrapes on it when we picked it up.

When notified that our Moonlight Shadow mooring would be moved we were told it was because they were going to operate day boats from that quay heading. But the, in May, the guy on the fuel quay told us the day boats were going to operate from the far end of basin where Lightening is moored. Goodness knows where the additional cars of day boat hirers will fit in!

so the proposal for day boats quotes 14 parking spaces, the proposal for houseboats quotes 14 parking spaces, etc, and each time the parking spaces are the same 14 spaces not cumulative like the planning department assume.

• Like 1

In so many planning applications these days parking is a major factor. If rejected I imagine a resubmission will talk about "sustainable transport" and offer some bicycle racks....

54 minutes ago, Helian said:

In so many planning applications these days parking is a major factor. If rejected I imagine a resubmission will talk about "sustainable transport" and offer some bicycle racks....

...and electric car charging points, and a solar panel or two, and how a school that never seems to get built? That gets them every time! :default_ph34r:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

They seem to be making investment in the fleet, day boats, service booth, day boats and now houseboats. Most of these can be sold on but probably at a loss.

I have been reliably informed that many of the hire cruisers are owned privately and hired out with a commission paid to the owners.  Brooms investment in their fleet may not be as great as would immediately seem apparent.

• Like 2

What does anyone expect from Venture Capitalists - they have misled their true objective from the moment they took over and so I would expect them to continue to stretch the imagination!

The whole world know what they want to do - its just a question of how and when they achieve in ruining a successful boatyard business, although to be fair, the writing had been on the wall methinks, for sometime. 

Sad to see them to continue to become a shadow of their former selves - - moral beware promises of the venture capitalists although I suspect if you go right back to the time of the takeover, you will see many suggesting what might happen by virtue of their magic crystal balls!!!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

I have been reliably informed that many of the hire cruisers are owned privately and hired out with a commission paid to the owners.  Brooms investment in their fleet may not be as great as would immediately seem apparent.

It's a fairly common model so I don't see why that wouldn't be true.

Strip the assets, load the company with debt, pay the Owner/ Directors a fortune in dividends, bonus and salary. And when the time is right fold the original company.

It is a business model invented 50 years ago. Who is old enough to remember Slater Walker? They started it.

• Like 2

So is foot in door development. 
Get permission for a few dwellings then next time you apply for more new builds. The thinking is that it’s hard to say no once you said yes.  
The point is you can’t roll back. Once the land is lost to development then it’s lost to the boating community. 
Then another stretch of river has lost its character as well as refuelling, water etc.  
someone gets a nice view and we lose moorings.  To my mind a bit like Wroxham before the bridge. Looks nice but you really can’t moor if your private. 
To me, vast stretches of town scape are not welcoming to the visiting boat person as there is little or no free mooring. See Barton turf. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cheesey69 said:

To my mind a bit like Wroxham before the bridge. Looks nice but you really can’t moor if your private. 

Do you mean Wroxham / Hoveton before where the Boatyards are? I think the area around the main river frontage is hideous past the turn for Sabena etc.

It doesn't have to be all bad. The holiday view "cottages" at Brundall Gardens don't look like eyesores to my eyes.

While a bunch of industrial buildings may be said to have character, for me they would have to be the attractive, Victorian kind before I would argue to keep them.

I can't see them getting rid of the refuelling anytime soon; it would give the people in the fancy apartments some amusement as they sip G&T on the varanda.

There is a photo somewhere, probably on the wall of the Yare pub, of the road beyond the level crossing, accross fields....

I think they call it progress.

Buildings dedicated to support industries. May not look nice but provide services either to boaters or locals. Brings in business. 
Houses and such looks nice but provide nothing for the reason the towns on the map in the first place. 
no moorings, or mooring for visiting. 
like say Horning. Very few spaces so it’s not a destination and we just motor by but it looks nice. 
nice is a great word but I’d rather use practical. Norwich redevelopment for example. Don’t want you mooring there so it’s useless for us, a wasteland in effect. 
slowly, very slowly we are losing facilities be it water points or moorings

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cheesey69 said:

Buildings dedicated to support industries. May not look nice but provide services either to boaters or locals. Brings in business. 
Houses and such looks nice but provide nothing for the reason the towns on the map in the first place. 
no moorings, or mooring for visiting. 

Houses contain people who pay rates, eat and shop in the area. Cram in more people and more goes into the local economy. 

40 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Plain GREED, hope it all comes back to bite them on the bum big time.

The application documents do include reference to the recently agreed Residential Mooring Guidelines.

The next thing to look out for will be the Officers Report to the Broads Authority Planning Committee which are held every 4 weeks ( Not on- line any more) as well as any other comments submitted especially from the statutory consultees as only Norfolk County have so far submitted anything 

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

Plain GREED, hope it all comes back to bite them on the bum big time.

But at least you know what you are getting with venture capitalist. Directors who sell out exploit ordinary working people for years then cast them to the wolves.

One you know what to expect, the other you thought you knew what to expect.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, floydraser said:

Houses contain people who pay rates, eat and shop in the area. Cram in more people and more goes into the local economy. 

True, to an extent. But a lot of that extra disappears into increased infrastructure, parking problems and things like doctors and schools. 
That was the thinking behind a lot of huge estates and now known as dormitory towns.
Do people really use the local shops?to a degree but ask Tescos in Stalham or Lathams. 
People usually travel for the big shop. 
But I was talking from the boater point of view. 

My old bug bear Horning, just look how many boats just go by compared to those that stop. I bet if you had a hundred free moorings they would be filled. And it maybe summer trade but It’s a captive trade. 
Instead, I know I can’t really stop at Horning or Wroxham on a guaranteed basis so I just restock in Stalham and at Tescos. 
I use Beccles local shops because I know I can stop. 
And I know I’m not the only one. 
New model towns separated pedestrians from the traffic, sacrificing passing trade who where willing to pass onto the next stop and although the towns never died they suffered in the long run from lack of investment and people just going to work and back again.   

• Like 3

Brundall has very few public moorings anyway and it is a hike up hill to the shops.

At least shore based accomadation will usually have a car to go to the local shops.

Boat services are mainly used by local based boats and are all behind on the riveride estate.

The fact that Brooms are investing in the site must be a good sign, at least mid term.

I am not sure the pods would be for me, all in close proximity but they will appeal to a certain market.

The site would be more likely to be developed for housing if it lacked investment or was closed and derelict.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Cheesey69 said:

True, to an extent. But a lot of that extra disappears into increased infrastructure, parking problems and things like doctors and schools. 
That was the thinking behind a lot of huge estates and now known as dormitory towns.
Do people really use the local shops?to a degree but ask Tescos in Stalham or Lathams. 
People usually travel for the big shop. 
But I was talking from the boater point of view. 

My old bug bear Horning, just look how many boats just go by compared to those that stop. I bet if you had a hundred free moorings they would be filled. And it maybe summer trade but It’s a captive trade. 
Instead, I know I can’t really stop at Horning or Wroxham on a guaranteed basis so I just restock in Stalham and at Tescos. 
I use Beccles local shops because I know I can stop. 
And I know I’m not the only one. 
New model towns separated pedestrians from the traffic, sacrificing passing trade who where willing to pass onto the next stop and although the towns never died they suffered in the long run from lack of investment and people just going to work and back again.   

Where ever people shop, they will have already paid rates/rent into the local economy. The people who make the decisions will balance up the potential between industry and residential. An old, dying boat yard has little chance in an economy where people want luxury apartments overlooking water. However, if they changed business to manufacturing batteries for electric cars, with all the subsidies that would bring, things could go the other way.