Engine's Performance

Andrewcook

I've Seen OldGregg post Brinks Tempo about Engines such as from Barnes Brinks  Engines using Yanmar are4JH series with electronic  Injection for Fuel-Efficient then the Nanni / Beta / Perkin's  engine's  also typical Brinks fashion have Twin Alternators  to top up the Battery's  for good measure. Griff why did you pick the Beta Engine if I'm right? What do the Forum members think of this question I put before you all? In my view I would seek advice about what Engine to put in a Boat for its wear and tear and affiance for years to come. 

Having been involve with Selling, Maintaining and generally looking after Kubota machinery since it started in 1979 I think I can vouch for some of the reliability of their engines as I know one of my customers still has and runs an L225 tractor which was one of the first I sold in Kent. and it is still on her original engine

The engine is the 24hp which I believe was the first Nanni marination of a Kubota engine. Thing is they got it right first time and hardly any improvements were made the engines for years.

Hi Andrew i chose a Kubota as it's cam shaft and auxiliary's use gears rather than chain or belt which means no planed replacements or maintenance along with life time wear, I chose beta rather than Peach mounts (they both use the same engine) but beta had a more/better fit of auxiliary's in my opinion i chose hydrolic drive for its low maintenance and versatility all though you do loose 5 or 10 % power but no engine alignment needed and better engine mounts means no vibration issues and better bow thruster use along with fly by wire controls. John

Firstly 2006 - We chose Beta because of recommends from others

Secondly Jason Hatch giving his best sales pitch (Formerly of SOS247 prior to him saving Ludham Bridge Boatyard)

Thirdly and most importantly - There was no way on Gods green earth I was going to install owt french onboard a 1960's classic Norfolk cabin cruiser - So there!

Fourthly - in my opinion Beta spares are easily obtainable, easily identified and don't cost the earth either.  I do all the servicing, both standard and Major, it's a breeze to work on

I prefer the colour Beta red to nanni blue.  I like cruising onboard 'B.A' with a Beta under the deck boards, it gives one a warm fuzzy feeling.  It's smooth, quiet, doesn't smell or leak owt.  Has never let us down, fills us with confidence, two 16 x Hrs trips to the Thames and back , never missed a beat despite getting tossed all over the place on the return leg

Jason informed me that our 50hp Beta should be good for 30'000 hours, thirty thousand - Wow, we have barely done 3'500 since 2007

Hope this helps,

Griff

• Like 2

I now would think the Beta Engine Fitted into Broad Ambition is a good sale pointer for what it has been doing so far. As to theses Yards Build Boats for Hire and Sale uses Different Engines are they good as Beta Engines? Are they being serviced regularly? As to the engine wear and tear. Griff does regularly service  Broad Ambition Engine to a very high standard I believe.

Engine choice will always be down to planned usage at build stage, a nice economical common rail is good for pottering round the broads but more to cause problems, for sea you can't beat an old school mechanical injected diesel as you can lose all electrical power and they will keep on running, if I was to lose power I would have to lift the floorboards and pull levers to get mine to stop otherwise they would just keep going, as long as they have good oil clean fuel and air, and you can't fix a black box on the go with a set of spanners and a lump hammer.

I know of a broom 450 that went into limp mode crossing the channel on the way back from clogsville due to a fuel pressure issue, it was never enough to cause an engine issue but the computer said no, I would have thought getting the crew home safe was far more important than getting the engines home safe.

29 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Engine choice will always be down to planned usage at build stage, a nice economical common rail is good for pottering round the broads but more to cause problems, for sea you can't beat an old school mechanical injected diesel as you can lose all electrical power and they will keep on running, if I was to lose power I would have to lift the floorboards and pull levers to get mine to stop otherwise they would just keep going, as long as they have good oil clean fuel and air, and you can't fix a black box on the go with a set of spanners and a lump hammer.

I know of a broom 450 that went into limp mode crossing the channel on the way back from clogsville due to a fuel pressure issue, it was never enough to cause an engine issue but the computer said no, I would have thought getting the crew home safe was far more important than getting the engines home safe.

I've no idea of the circumstances but if the low fuel pressure was due to down to partially blocked filters this could cause the engines to go into limp home.  Without this feature the engines could have continued at full chat, blocked the filters faster and then stalled completely.  At least with limp home you have some control which is better than none, it also buys you time to try and resolve the issue.

• Like 1