Damp On Hampton Safari Cruiser

ldncruiser

hello there! i just bought a hampton safari 3 & will be living aboard full time! 

i have noticed that my duvet & clothes feel damp. is that normal for this time of year?

also, i want to install a heating system as i cant fit a wood burning stove. ive been recommended wallas spartan heater system. does anyone have any experience or if you use something different in your hampton safari 3 i’d love to hear about it!

thank you!

aisha

Welcome 👍

The dampness sounds like condensation, a dehumidifier should help. Either the crystal type that you top up daily or if you are connected to shore power an electric one.

The big advantage of an electric one is that you can run a short hose from it to a sink with some models which means you don't have to remember to empty it.

Still worth checking for leaks as well of course.

• Love 1

Welcome to the NBN and congratulations on your new boat.  They are hugely popular, have a good owners club too

I've never heard of a 'Wallace Spartan' heater.  We have a 'Planar' blown warm air system, hugely cheaper than the Webasto / Eberspacher units and we are very happy with it - Recommended

Griff

• Like 1

Hi Aisha Wallis heater is a hot air heater similar to Ebaspacher/Webasto but thinner not cheap afraid i dont know much about them but if spares are separate in spite of not being cheap they are a better bet than Eber and webasto as if they go wrong you have two buy half the heater to repair with high cost or go with Griff's suggestion, if living on a boat noise is the biggest concern along with running costs, a hot water heater such as Hurricane which work as a house hold heaters ie can cycle on and of along with radiators would be much more user friendly and reliable, i guess you will be on mains electric? if not solid fuel is the best option, John

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, annv said:

if not solid fuel is the best option, John

Didnt the OP say No to the wood burner in the opening post.

Ventilation is key as are the water/dampness absobing cyrstals. There is a main service agent in Norwich for Webasto & Eberspacher but as said they are expensive for service or repairs.

There are cheaper options out there which would suit a Hampton Safari.

Just now, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Didnt the OP say No to the wood burner in the opening post.

Ventilation is key as are the water/dampness absobing cyrstals. There is a main service agent in Norwich for Webasto & Eberspacher but as said they are expensive for service or repairs.

There are cheaper options out there which would suit a Hampton Safari.

thank you! i am again considering a solid fuel burner as it would be the simplest option, just having trouble working out where to put one on a mark 3 and also have heard some scary things about fire on grp

boats…

6 minutes ago, ldncruiser said:

thank you! i am again considering a solid fuel burner as it would be the simplest option, just having trouble working out where to put one on a mark 3 and also have heard some scary things about fire on grp

boats…

Join the owners club for ideas and not all moorings allow solid fuel burners to be used so consider that, do you have moorings sorted.

Hi Indi Rather difficult on a hampton as engine housing is in the way only real place would be in front of dash /side of helm, perhaps a change of boat is called for as these boats are rather cramped to live on ok with shore power as you can have hot air or hot water  diesel powered heaters  BUT they do use battery power which needs a power source, not enough room for solar panels with a big battery bank. John

• Like 1