Pipedreams

CambridgeCabby

It will rub away under tow as well. All deck fittings should be bolted through to adequate backing. I know some do use wood screws and self tappers, from new on certain built down to a price marques, but it is not good practice.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Meantime said:

Hope it's all sorted quickly and your soon back underway again. 

I thought the fairlead was more to stop the rope from rubbing when the boat is moored up. I'm not sure I'd trust it to the stresses and strains placed upon a tow rope underway! The towing post will be securely fixed to the structure of the boat, the fairlead looks like it is just screwed to the deck.

See above

A MONTH - :default_icon_e_surprised: Wow

Why a month? It’s about a 3 x Hr job surely?

Disconnect prop shaft, shove it aft 6” or so remove bell housing bolts, drop box aft same 6” or lift it out of way,  remove drive plate bolts - 10? Replace driveplate, button the lot back up

Driveplates  available off t shelf in N.Yorks

If input shaft is worn = bigger issue as happened to us as we discovered we had been ripped off with G/box recon. Had to renew it along with driveplate. 
in your case if paying for Labour too -

How Much? :default_icon_cry:

Since then we are so respectful of pausing between ahead & astern, should last us an age

Hope you get it sorted asap

Griff

• Like 1

Boulters are snowed under for the next couple of weeks at least sadly plus they can’t order the part until the old one is removed (what’s left of it ) , then it’s about a days work apparently , rough ball park , depending on which drive plate it is (range from £200 to £600) total cost £1000 - £1500 tops 

• Sad 5

Can someone explain to me what the drive plate is and does and where it is found please. I’m  all for learning these things.
I’ve gathered from Griff’s post that it’s something to do with the change from forward to reverse gear, I always try to do that slowly, but didn’t know why! 

I belong to Boulters breakdown. Good peace of mind. Sonny Boulter was very good to me when I lost any ability to reverse one day as I came into moor at Griffs corner. He parked up on Upper Street, walked down the track and round the footpath to me, in the drizzle and carrying his toolbox. Far quicker than coming by boat.
It was a loose bolt at the back of the morse control, on the cable. I was cross with myself about that as I’d already diagnosed where the fault was but when I tested it I thought that was how it was meant to be. Oh well!

1 hour ago, MargeandParge said:

We both hope that you are back on The Broads afloat soon. Boulters will sort it.

Can I ask were there any symptoms or clues that it might have been worn?

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

Sometimes they just go like Simon’s, sometimes they can start rattling at very low rpm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2