Broads Boat Insurance Firm?

Good Morning,

Purchased a lovely little original 1980 Bounty 28 a couple of weeks ago to use as a family day boat, been in private ownership since new with original gel coat, valid BSS, now about to start a internal refit to bring her upto spec, however my insurance firm are refusing to offer insurance without a new full out of water survey... never had this issue before.

Had many boats over the years and always trusted my own judgment on purchases which has always seen me well without getting surveys done... Admittedly boats purchased in recent years have all been newer...

Anyone on here know of a local firm who will insure without surveys?

Hi I use Navigators& General If they will want a survay i have know idea BUT if they do it will be for a reason, you only find out insurance is no good until you have a claim, it is then to late, these where Norwich Union marine of shot arguably the brand leaders for marine insurance. John

I insure through a broker as I took it over from the previous owner of the boat.  The actual insurance is with Navigators and General, who were always the best known on the boatyards and probably still are.  The boat already had a recent survey so no problem.

I note, however, that I am only covered for the Norfolk Broads upstream of Yarmouth Haven and I wonder why there should be a need for a survey to cruise those waters, in an AF38 Pearl built by Stalham Yacht Services.  When the day comes that my insurer asks for another survey it will be an interesting discussion!

I was with Navigators and General but they didn't want to increase my boats value when I went to renew, which I felt necessary due to boat resale prices since the pandemic. I am now insured with Alan Boswell of Norwich for the value I wanted, better terms, less excess and yet still with the same underwrites, Zurich.

• Like 1