Replacement Planks

craigmc67

3 hours ago, craigmc67 said:

Hi might need some replacement planks on the bottom of my boat has anyone got a boat builder they would recommend 

The frames and ribs are ok just had a survey done and they suggested to investigate a couple of areas 

A lot of people use Redwood for planking but the stuff available lately has been of poor quality and does not seem to last, I always use Opepe (I think that’s how it’s spelt) which a cross between Iroko and Mahogany, Martham boats have used this for a number of years and have not needed to replace any since.  I put approx 230ft in my last boat around 3 years ago and still looks as good as new.  

2259C007-EE42-48F2-8F9E-A9A141036A4F.jpeg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, craigmc67 said:

Would you recommend anyone but of a minefield for me . I’m not afraid of the donkey work but will leave this to the professional when I find one 

Another vote for Robin. 

Time served ships joiner and owner of one of the best maintained and looked after boats (apart from mine obviously) on the Broads 

Definitely recommend his work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, grendel said:

if you own a wooden boat, learning how to do your own repairs is a very useful skill to acquire

I guess that is the same principle for any 'classic' vehicle or item, like cars for instance.

They need more and regular attention, parts and skills are in short supply and you have to be able to do much yourself if it is to be affordable.

But the joy of owning a more individual and beautiful boat, or car, compared to the modern all-look-the-same types is the payback.

• Like 3