Jump Start.

Relayer

2 minutes ago, annv said:

Hi Biker you need to be careful when ordering a battery for a car as many  cars today have different needs than older vehicles which just needed to turn engine over. Stop start cars need a different type of battery which won't suit a boat engine when i sorted a battery twelve years ago for my new boat the one that was most suitable ie size, length, height,and cold cranking turned out to be for a Rolls Royce,  that vehicle todays battery would not be suitable for a boat engine today, as engine starting spec's have changed for new cars. John

I believe automotive Stop-Start batteries are totally different, they are not Lead Acid but similar to Li-on batteries in phones maybe ? A car would still have a traditional Lead Acid ignition starting and 'vehicle system' battery that the ignition key uses, but the Stop-Start battery and system is separate.

For a car, I would usually select the recommended fitment from the manufactures list, but for a boat I have no idea ! Never seen Aquafibre or Brooms listed under the Manufacturers !

Also I have a solar panel which I assumed was only charging the leisure battery.......need to check if its charging the starter batteries. 

We too have solar panels - wired up to charge the leisure batteries only.  Our way of thinking is that the cranking battery is used to start the engine ONLY.  Nothing else is drawn from it.  Therefore once the Beta is running it will be charged up from the alternators in short order.  It is also charged up from the shore power charger too

Griff

• Like 1

I have a couple of the Lidls special, lithium jump starter battery packs, and have to say they do work, I used one the other day to jump a neighbours car that had developed a flat battery. I pack one when I travel to the boat, for just these situations

• Like 2

The controller on my solar panel does both batteries, it can be set to the percentage of split in 10% increments, I have it set 10% to start battery and 90% to domestics during winter to give it a trickle and allow for natural discharge and change to all domestics during the season when it's being used more often, it's pwm not mppt but I couldn't find a two channel mppt version at a civilised price, I also have a fold up panel I can add to the system when needed.

It means I can do an extra day in places like southwold when we get put on a private pontoon with no leccy otherwise by day 3 I need to stink the neighbours out to charge.

• Like 1