Potential Loss Of Potter Moorings

Mouldy

I’ve just read on a FB group page that a potential loss of moorings at Potter has been reported in the latest Broads Society magazine.  Reading the report, the ‘quiet’ moorings are being closed, due to the increased water levels and Health and Safety concerns that are being raised, resulting in part from the higher freeboards found on many newer hire boats.

I wonder if any other Forum members have access to the relevant information and can confirm.  The loss of those moorings, as well as impacting river users, will surely affect businesses in the area if holidaymakers are unable to moor there.

• Sad 1

I suspect this has more to do with the other topic of running engines at moorings, than rising water levels and health and safety. People have complained in the past about being told off for not being "quiet" at the quiet moorings and I along with many others have defended the owners of the quiet moorings and their right to enjoy their properties in peace and quiet without listening to the throbbing of boat engines on moorings that they are providing and then being abused when they ask people to turn off their engines.

You reap what you sow and now even those who knew what quiet moorings meant, are going to pay for the loss of this facility!!

• Sad 1

The Potter Heigham moorings "lost" are two stretches of 24hour public moorings on the Repps bank half a mile below Potter bridge.  Since 1986 these mooring plots have been leased from the Environment Agency by Thurne Bungalows Management Company Limited, of which I am currently a Director. TBMC's Lease expires in 2086. "Lost" because, with now 'normal' high tides on the Thurne and ever-increasing freeboards to cruisers, TBMC's mooring plots represent a health and safety risk that TBMC Ltd cannot afford to take.  

In the Company's opinion, the only solution to make these moorings safe and fit for purpose is to completely re-pile and re-quayhead the moorings, simultaneously raising the land by at least 30 centimetres (a foot in old money).  This engineering work will require thousands of pounds and the money would have to come from the owners of the Potter Heigham, Ludham, Repps and Martham Thurne bungalows. TBMC Ltd's shareholders are the owners of 184 of the Thurne bungalows.

As things stand, TBMC's public mooring plots will be left to re-wild.

TBMC Ltd had hoped to persuade the Environment Agency to finance such a scheme.  The moorings are of no use as moorings to the Environment Agency.  

TBMC Ltd tried to persuade the Broads Authority to take on a long lease and the future maintenance of the plots.  The Broads Authority reported that it could not afford to take on such a financial liability.

Negotiations are still on-going, and, with this in mind, TBMC Ltd would appreciate forum members not muddying the waters of what could be delicate negotiations. I am, on the other hand, happy to take constructive private messages on the matter.

For the sake of clarity, the BA's own 24hour moorings at Potter are still available for use by both private and hired boats.

David W Sanford
Director
TBMC Ltd

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Sad news.  Personally, I don’t like mooring at the BA moorings.  They’re too close to the bridge and your boat becomes a target for those trying to turn before the bridge and novice crews exiting Woods yard, who haven’t quite fathomed how to steer.

Not visiting Potter will have a couple of benefits - not being tempted by the goodies in Bridgestones and not having to visit Lathams, but I’ll miss the London Cheesecakes from the bakery.

20 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Sad news.  Personally, I don’t like mooring at the BA moorings.  They’re too close to the bridge and your boat becomes a target for those trying to turn before the bridge and novice crews exiting Woods yard, who haven’t quite fathomed how to steer.

Not visiting Potter will have a couple of benefits - not being tempted by the goodies in Bridgestones and not having to visit Lathams, but I’ll miss the London Cheesecakes from the bakery.

You can get a loyalty card  at Bridgestones,for coffee  

• Like 1

As Expilot has requested no further muddying of the waters during negotiations, we are going to lock the topic from further comments, and suggest that if you want to discuss it further with Expilot, you do so as suggested by PM, we will also lock any topics seeking to restart this discussion, until such time as Expilot gives the OK that negotiations have finished one way or the other.