Engine Oil Query

My engine has only done 30 hours since it's last service in October, which is not a lot but it includes the winter months.

I just did a quick oil level check with the dipstick and the oil is so clean that at first I thought it was too low to be registering.

I'm not complaining but I have never seen such clean oil on a dipstick and I've naturally done many many oil level checks over the years.

So, just checking in with more knowledgeable members that this isn't a sign of an underlying problem despite being a good thing on the face of it?

Nanni 50 1995 (not re-engined at any time as far as I know)

6 minutes ago, Ray said:

My engine has only done 30 hours since it's last service in October, which is not a lot but it includes the winter months.

I just did a quick oil level check with the dipstick and the oil is so clean that at first I thought it was too low to be registering.

I'm not complaining but I have never seen such clean oil on a dipstick and I've naturally done many many oil level checks over the years.

So, just checking in with more knowledgeable members that this isn't a sign of an underlying problem despite being a good thing on the face of it?

Nanni 50 1995 (not re-engined at any time as far as I know)

I hope not, as mine is similar, not black and sooty like in the diesel engine in my car. 🀞

2 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

I hope not, as mine is similar, not black and sooty like in the diesel engine in my car. 🀞

Well that's a relief πŸ‘ Good engines by all accounts πŸ™‚

1 minute ago, Ray said:

Well that's a relief πŸ‘ Good engines by all accounts πŸ™‚

I hope so! Β We’ve just had to buy a new fridge. Β The old one was running all the time and icing up, so presumably an issue with the thermostat. Β Had to go for an Isotherm one this time, the price of a Waeco like the original wasn't far short of Β£1000 including vat. Β Where do the manufacturers dream up their prices?

2 minutes ago, Aboattime said:

Doesnt boat stand for Bung on another Thousand!!:default_hiding:

That or Bring Out Another Thousand.  Amounts to the same thing, really, but what else would I rather spend my money on? 😁

• Like 1

In my last boat it was very easy to read the oil level as the oil was black even after a few trips since an oil change, the boat I have now has a very similar engine basically a 1500 BMC /Thorneycroft, I have this serviced on a yearly basis the oil is always clean and golden in colour, O plus the factΒ  I have never topped up the oil between servicing, and when you start the engine even in the winter you get a two second puff of smoke and then nothing, so happy as Larry (big grin)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marshman said:

On that theme - Boat Owner - Add a ThousandΒ :default_sad:

Don’t tell the BA!! Β It’ll be bad enough this year when they calculate next years toll increase, based on the inflation rate, without giving them ideas!! πŸ˜‰

• Like 2