Right Size Ensign

wooster

49 minutes ago, Paul said:

Incorrect.

You cannot fly a flag at half mast on a pole or staff at an angle GREATER than 45 degrees off vertical, such flags should be removed. You should also not fly flags at half mast inside buildings, these too should be removed or may be dressed with black mourning ribbons

Well it doesn’t say about black mourning ribbons on the official gov web site 

E6F83A84-C4F3-4359-8648-16157586F584.jpeg

25 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

FF - My thoughts too

We fly a Gods Country rose on ‘B.A’s ensign staff. Have done so since her recommissioning back in October 07.  We’ve had no issues when out at sea or on the Thames during the QDJ

(There’s a few other boats on the rivers do the same)

Consequently I’ve yet to be summoned to a captains table or be keel hauled

Griff

So if the Officers of the largest port in the UK whose bossman was a former Commander of a Nuclear Deterrent Polaris Submarine didn't mind you flying a rose (albeit the wrong colour IMHO as a former resident of the other rose county) on your stern during the biggest pageant since gawd knows when ,all organized by a former colleague of mine.

Why in the world would anyone worry about how and why a little boat on the inland waterways wears its Ensign?

That and knowing your branch of the RN of which you Are rightly proud.

And you also know what and why my boat wears.

Notice I am using the correct terms now.

:default_cool:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

Well it doesn’t say about black mourning ribbons on the official gov web site 

That's the government for you. Known as a mourning cravat a black ribbon can be added to the upper or leading toggle n flags which cannot be flown at half mast

I think it was Mouldy who posted the guidance on Friday which explains, though as someone who was once responsible for flags on a public building the etiquette is something I had to know. 

You think it's confusing when talking about one flag. Try working out the etiquette when a stand of flags is involved

Incidentally, you should ALWAYS raise or lower a flag to and from full staff, never directly to or from half mast

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/09/2022 at 22:26, wooster said:

Surely all these are rules specifically for military, diplomatic and some other governmental areas and don't appy to old men like me mucking about on a boat? I just like a bit of a flag flapping around because it looks nice.

@PaulN please could you tell me how long your flagpole is? I'm guessing 125cm but just to be sure. Thanks

Hi Wooster

This was my actual order with Force 4 Chanlery about 3 years ago, which gives dimensions.

Hope this helps.

Force 4 Red Ensigns - Sewn 1 1/4 Yard

1 1/4 Yard£43.951£43.95

Lahna Ensign Staffs - Pine 4' X 32mm

4' x 32mm£31.501£31.50

Subtotal£75.45

Delivery£5.95

Total£81.40

• Like 1

On 20/09/2022 at 17:53, PaulN said:

Hi Wooster

This was my actual order with Force 4 Chanlery about 3 years ago, which gives dimensions.

Hope this helps.

Force 4 Red Ensigns - Sewn 1 1/4 Yard

1 1/4 Yard£43.951£43.95

Lahna Ensign Staffs - Pine 4' X 32mm

4' x 32mm£31.501£31.50

Subtotal£75.45

Delivery£5.95

Total£81.40

Thank you @PaulN After doing a bit of measuring and comparing it with the shape of our boat, I've concluded that, where it is to be positioned on our boat, the 4' pole would look slightly tall and the flag might be a little large. I've gone with a slightly smaller kit of a 1m pole and 1 yd flag.

Thank you for your help

• Like 2