Right Size Ensign

wooster

I wish to inform you that my grandfather, William Bramwell Jenner, a  trawler skipper, for his efforts, mine sweeping in a Lowestoft trawler, in the Mediterranean, was awarded a gold medal, together with the honour of flying the skull and crossbones from his boat, by the King of Serbia. 

All documented with providence by the family.

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1

On 05/09/2022 at 21:53, wooster said:

Greetings folks,

I'm putting a flag up on the rear of my boat. The boat is 37ft and according to one site I looked on it suggestesd the correct size ensign was 1 1/4 yd which I assume is 45" long. This seems pretty big to me. I'm worried it'll be touching the water !

I can buy a kit with a pole of 125cm so maybe it would be fine. Would you suggest this size or something a little smaller?

Thanks all

We have an Alpha 36 and our ensign has a fly of 45" and hoist of 22" and looks correct to me.

I agree, get a good quality stitched one, not printed.

Ours came from Force 4 chandlery

23 hours ago, PaulN said:

We have an Alpha 36 and our ensign has a fly of 45" and hoist of 22" and looks correct to me.

I agree, get a good quality stitched one, not printed.

Ours came from Force 4 chandlery

A very sad day

20220909_105104.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

This would refer to public buildings I imagine but not boats.

You may not wear the Union Flag on a boat unless it is a warship.

The ensign is raised to full mast at 0800 (morning colours) and immediately lowered to half mast.  It is then raised to full mast at sunset and lowered.  Sunset in summer is 2100 hours or actual sunset, whichever is the earlier.

Ensigns are not left up at night and club flags and house flags, should remain at full mast.

Times for half masting are normally the day of death and the day of the funeral but in this case I think it has been announced that flags on public buildings will remain at half mast from now until after the funeral, as the country will be in national mourning.

By the way, don't expect to see the Royal Standard at half mast.  It never can be, as it is the standard of the Monarch and there is always a Monarch.  The Queen is dead, long live the King, etc!

I believe I am right that the only time the Royal Standard has been half-masted was when the royal yacht brought the coffin of Queen Victoria from the Isle of Wight to the mainland but that would need "googling" for confirmation!

14 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Sunset in summer is 2100 hours or actual sunset, whichever is the earlier.

I have just remembered an old "chestnut" about that :

They say the sun never sets on the British Empire.

But in fact, it sets when their Lordships of the Admiralty say so!

• Like 1

Is there also something about flag should be at least a flag width from the top and at least 2/3's of the way up?

And I'm sure flags not on a flagpole or mast (ie ensign staff) should be at the top and with black ribbons.

Happy to be corrected as I'm not a flaggy person.

Surely all these are rules specifically for military, diplomatic and some other governmental areas and don't appy to old men like me mucking about on a boat? I just like a bit of a flag flapping around because it looks nice.

@PaulN please could you tell me how long your flagpole is? I'm guessing 125cm but just to be sure. Thanks

7 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

As I understand it,  a flag flown at "half mast" should actually be flown 1 flags width from the top of the pole. Am I correct?

Not sure about that.  An ensign is "dipped" as a salute between ships.

I noticed the flag over "Buck House" yesterday was about a third of the way down the pole.

10 hours ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

Apparently you can not fly a flag at half mast on a pole on a 45 degree angle. On a Side of building. 

7 hours ago, marshman said:

Correct!

Incorrect.

You cannot fly a flag at half mast on a pole or staff at an angle GREATER than 45 degrees off vertical, such flags should be removed. You should also not fly flags at half mast inside buildings, these too should be removed or may be dressed with black mourning ribbons

7 minutes ago, Paul said:

Incorrect.

You cannot fly a flag at half mast on a pole or staff at an angle GREATER than 45 degrees off vertical, such flags should be removed. You should also not fly flags at half mast inside buildings, these too should be removed or may be dressed with black mourning ribbons

I knew this would get complicated.

Which is why I don't indulge.

My flag looks very pretty on the back of my boat.

And I am proud to say I served under the Red Duster for a very long time.

FF - My thoughts too

We fly a Gods Country rose on ‘B.A’s ensign staff. Have done so since her recommissioning back in October 07.  We’ve had no issues when out at sea or on the Thames during the QDJ

(There’s a few other boats on the rivers do the same)

Consequently I’ve yet to be summoned to a captains table or be keel hauled

Griff