Neatishead Staithe

NorfolkNog

I can remember when Neatishead staithe was a grass bank, certainly the left side, as you go in. I left a rhond hook behind and by the time I realised and turned around to recover it, it had gone. It looked much nicer in those days and I doubt there was much need for the expensive works being carried out now.

Edited by Heron
Correction

22 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Thanks Malcolm, must have missed that. 

But why no notice on Lime Kiln Dyke to warn folks? Hire boats are out already so I'm sure I won't be the last!

No problem, Howard.  Good job you went to Sutton today and not next week, as that has work scheduled too!

https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0022/454090/NTM-01-of-2023-Temporary-closure-of-Sutton-Staithe.pdf

1 minute ago, NorfolkNog said:

If folk don't see it on the Forum or look at the BA website they might not know. A simple notice (sign) would cost how much? And the tolls have gone up how much? Not impressed. 

We are talking about the Beloved/Blessed/Broads (delete as applicable) Authority, Howard.

• Like 1

Agree a sign at the entrance to the Dyke would have been sensible. I had seen the BA announcement, posted elsewhere on the forum, but just clocked that it wouldn’t affect us, and then forgot about it.

What are they up to? Dredging or quay heading renewal or both? Good to see work being done anyway. I hope they do something about the muddy paths when they are done. It’s been fairly muddy for the past couple of winters, and that’s before they got their big digger in to churn it all up. 

• Like 2

The MN does say it all  - repairing  the steel piling and refurbishment of the timber work, but not closing the navigation up to and beyond the Staithe. I suggest the BA have read this thread and have now put a notice up saying the Staithe itself is closed - if not tell Broads Control and I bet it will be done.

To be fair if they closed the navigation for the two months you lot, and people like the Nancy Oldfield, would be up in arms  - although it is not enormous, I have never had problem turning in the turning area. Of course the ground is muddy, its marshy and muddy, and its winter - better now than closing it for two months in summer when its probably drier.

And the walk from Gayes Staithe will give you an appetite and thirst and you had a chance to look in the gardens of those poncy houses and the opportunity also to nip in and view the Wherry Arch under the house!

I doubt they are doing any dredging as it is probably not possible to get a mud wherry up there -  I am sure they would like to just chuck it on the ground but that would make it more muddy! Thinking about it, where would they put the spoil but I suggest if anyone wishes to, ring up the Rivers Engineer and chat to him about the issues. In the past I have found him a very pleasant and approachable chap!! Trouble is, dumping a load of mud into a tipper would create more issues as it would all run out!!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, FlyingFortress said:

The reason I mentioned dredging is that I have not been able to back up into the corners of the dyke due to going around. Also have felt the bottom while backing down the middle.

That happened to me FF. 

I’d backed all the way down to get in the back left corner, the only spot left.  So I thought it’d be easier to just go straight down the middle and pull it over on the ropes. And ‘clonk’, as the rudder grounded and then had to scrape on the bottom/hard mud as I went forward to release it. After mooring up, I got my boat hook to test the depth, it was VERY shallow just by the safety ladder. 

Point taken about reporting it. 

31 minutes ago, marshman said:

The MN does say it all  - repairing  the steel piling and refurbishment of the timber work, but not closing the navigation up to and beyond the Staithe. I suggest the BA have read this thread and have now put a notice up saying the Staithe itself is closed - if not tell Broads Control and I bet it will be done.

To be fair if they closed the navigation for the two months you lot, and people like the Nancy Oldfield, would be up in arms  - although it is not enormous, I have never had problem turning in the turning area. Of course the ground is muddy, its marshy and muddy, and its winter - better now than closing it for two months in summer when its probably drier.

And the walk from Gayes Staithe will give you an appetite and thirst and you had a chance to look in the gardens of those poncy houses and the opportunity also to nip in and view the Wherry Arch under the house!

I doubt they are doing any dredging as it is probably not possible to get a mud wherry up there -  I am sure they would like to just chuck it on the ground but that would make it more muddy! Thinking about it, where would they put the spoil but I suggest if anyone wishes to, ring up the Rivers Engineer and chat to him about the issues. In the past I have found him a very pleasant and approachable chap!! Trouble is, dumping a load of mud into a tipper would create more issues as it would all run out!!

So without wishing to sound contentious, what should happen if dredging is required?  Should the Dyke be allowed to silt up and deny us even more moorings or should the Blessed Authority do something constructive with the funds they receive to maintain navigation?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, marshman said:

To be fair if they closed the navigation for the two months you lot, and people like the Nancy Oldfield, would be up in arms 

That's very fair comment MM. They wouldn't need to actually close Lime Kiln Dyke but even a hand painted sign would be helpful! Yes, no problem turning with a bit of bow thruster but something like those new Broadsman type could be awkward. And yes, done the walk twice now, 15 mins approx to work up a thirst! 

• Like 1