Lancaster Canal Trip

We had an enjoyable narrowboat break last week on the Lancaster canal. It’s nice to have a change of scene and this Canal is very scenic following the coast up around Morecambe bay. It follows the lie of the land with no locks (apart from a few down to Glassen dock but no hire boats allowed on this small stretch) it makes it an easy cruise. The boat we hired Calando from Duck island boat company was very nicely fitted out with exceptionally comfy beds. We got as far up to Carnforth going north and Billsborow south. Would recommend to anybody thinking of trying this.

John 

5D03380E-0A4C-4B64-9400-B7B67B1D6DC9.jpeg

982A2709-0271-4C3C-B522-9722C0C75C54.jpeg

74A06FC7-4906-4EBC-A2EB-60507C49A94E.jpeg

E6466E61-97F9-4337-BB89-ACBC9C2A7B6C.jpeg

BEAA6627-4C4C-479F-BB98-DE2EB5ECA366.jpeg

CBB72BC3-4AAF-4E62-8266-DEE3E86F985E.jpeg

A4E8E22E-C1AB-408C-A387-795679D33CD7.jpeg

CB469175-5A62-462A-A0C7-2D85937CCE6F.jpeg

CFFE7B0C-05A4-4E9B-81F0-9A7643D83C23.jpeg

34043CE8-B1DA-4862-BCE8-E5ACF75E6D47.jpeg

4256A99C-D465-4F45-9A6D-D23F0878A7DA.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Love 1

We hired from these people some years ago but had the misfortune of arriving when the Canal had a serious leak and was shut from a certain part down.     So all our plans of seeing Morecambe Bay never materialised.    How did you find the boat?  Can I just ask , did the fridge have a freezer section, only ours was a larder fridge.   Our boat was a wide beam and was more like Ikea on the water,  all very posh but not practical.       Where is their base now?

The boat was a good standard and easy to operate. There was no freezer but a full size fridge which we didn’t find a problem. They are based at Garstang in one of the marinas. I know the wide beam boat you mean Picallo which we were thinking of trying next time but they are all designed with the same decoration. The canal can be a shallow in places (around the edges) but there’s not a lot of traffic so staying in the middle is the way to go.

John 

• Like 1

Yes restoring it to Kendal is the dream and in planning but getting round the M6 which cut it up many years ago I reckon will be too expensive a project. Agree the local pricing is cheaper than the Lakes for now.

John

Thanks for sharing this. The thought of working the locks has put me off seriously considering hiring a narrowboat. From all the vlogs I’ve watched the canals look so much easier for mooring given that mostly there’s not the same tidal flow. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jbx5 said:

The boat was a good standard and easy to operate. There was no freezer but a full size fridge which we didn’t find a problem. They are based at Garstang in one of the marinas. I know the wide beam boat you mean Picallo which we were thinking of trying next time but they are all designed with the same decoration. The canal can be a shallow in places (around the edges) but there’s not a lot of traffic so staying in the middle is the way to go.

John 

You cannot knock the canal , it is one of the most beautiful and no locks.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing. My daughter Keira lives in Lancaster which I know quite well. I was looking at hire options out of interest very recently and I had no idea until then it was 42 miles lock-free. There are quite a few hire bases as well.

• Like 2