Paddle Skedaddle - Saturday 13th May

Mouldy

On 14/05/2023 at 10:58, Gracie said:

I'm so pleased it all went well and was a success.

My first post to this was to say I wouldn't want to helm through them and I still stand by that but what I have learned from this thread is that they are trained athletes who are well aware they are on a river with 40 ton cruisers (I'm not sure how much they weigh really :default_biggrin:) and haven't just brought a paddle board to give it a try

If I wore a hat I would take it off to them, well done and look forward to reading about the next event x

Well said Gracie.      I admire these Paddle Boarders that take on a feat as this was,  my God they must have some stamina to keep going all that way.     Crumbs to even stand up on one would be enough , let alone paddle all the way to Potter Heigham and beyond.   I am just glad all went well and it was safe for everyone.      I just dont see what other day of the week or time it would have been advisable.        My only hope is that if this event is to happen in the future that it is advertised weeks before so all concerned are aware.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Gracie - if you think my use of the word "squit" was offensive then I will withdraw it but I still think that a number of people made comments without being "qualified" to do so. I am not a trained H & S advisor to Outdoor Water Sporting and I doubt many readers and contributors to this Forum are either - the HSE has a whole dept specially trained in water event and safety management and I cannot believe that they would get insurance if the organisers did not comply!

Of course any one can comment but mixing it with views on the whole National Park issue is just a step too far - personally I cannot see the connection at all! But then I was always a bit slow on the uptake I am afraid!

• Like 1

I suppose I could court controversy by saying that paddle boarders are more visible than swimmers, but i will refrain from that, i wish everyone on the water well, all I really ask is that they understand the rules of the river, and dont just scatter in all directions when a cruiser wants to get past, generally I will slow to a tickover when passing paddle boards or canoes to reduce my wash and thus have a better chance of not tipping one off their paddle board (of course this does not work if they are going faster than my tickover.

Dear Marshman, it's not the word only the context in which it was used. You, of course, are entitled to your views the same as everyone else. If I agree with you or not I would never call your comments squit is all.

You are a true Broadsman whose knowledge counts for a lot on this forum x

• Thanks 1