Paddle Skedaddle - Saturday 13th May

Mouldy

3 minutes ago, Wussername said:

En masse. Yes.

So couldn't the same be said of any sailing regatta which brings many sailboats close together, often in races, and pretty much every weekend somewhere on The Broads during the season. Perhaps the answer is to just ban any organised fun event including cruise in companies?

• Like 1

I must admit to being astonished by all the negativity being shown and the dangers being imagined, and the belief that the rivers belong to specific individuals! Its not the first time long distance boarding events have been held on the Broads, and despite Vaughan believing it is peak season, it seems to be far from it! Ferry the other day had most of their boats in and given the rubbish weather going on and on, lots of private boats have not even been visited by their owners!

This is not an event for the average boarder who wants to paddle up and down the reeds in a gentle breeze for a quick practise but a serious event for keen boarders - most would be through Ludham Bridge in about 5 seconds tops!! I doubt , even by the end of the race, any will have fallen off!!! There may well be over a 100 in the race, but like any race they will be pretty spread out even by the bottom end of Barton! They are not stupid and be well aware that there will be motor boats, and sailing ones too sharing the waterways, and will cope admirably I am sure.

I hope they all have a great day, and especially those not local and new to the rivers, get to enjoy the beauty of the Broads and its unique scenery - if they have the time to look around and are not totally knackered.  I couldn't even walk it these days, let alone paddle it!

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, marshman said:

This is not an event for the average boarder who wants to paddle up and down the reeds in a gentle breeze for a quick practise but a serious event for keen boarders - most would be through Ludham Bridge in about 5 seconds tops!! I doubt , even by the end of the race, any will have fallen off!!!

I think it’s fair to say it won’t look like this.

AA27E27C-9C6D-4B9C-AA7C-3160356CD8F7.thumb.jpeg.bf32d0757412a7c67f1cf45169af41dd.jpeg

Old pic just e.g.

Colin:default_beerchug:

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, marshman said:

the dangers being imagined, and the belief that the rivers belong to specific individuals!

The imagined dangers... You may be right, it is easy to be overcautious I guess

The belief that the rivers belong to specific individuals... That isn't what this thread is about, no one has expressed that view. In fact I went so far as to say I'd be happy to see stretches closed to motor traffic for these events.

• Like 3

Just to be clear, I do not perceive the paddle boarder to be the problem, but I do perceive the paddle boarder to be the victim.

My view is that the event should take place but preferably not on a Saturday and that the contestants should have to transport their boards across the road on foot overland.

• Like 1

MM - it will take them 5/10 seconds for them to get through the bridge! Cannot see an issue - I would have thought it far more dangerous to cross the road especially as visibility is a bit limited!

Would you get out and cross the road in bare feet carrying a board and all your kit? Far worse than just following, or preceding, a cruiser!!!

12 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Well no matter how people feel it's going ahead. I wish them well and hope they have the best day

I've been thinking of having a go myself but not sure it would work in heels. Not sure I would stay dry either :default_biggrin: x

And more to the point Gracie, where would you put the Prosecco and obligatory glass? :default_hiding::default_biggrin:

Chris

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

the contestants should have to transport their boards across the road on foot overland.

Otherwise known on the canals and other rivers as "portage", where a suitable slip and path is provided for carrying canoes, rowing skiffs and small boats past locks and weirs.

Exactly that facility has been provided at Coltishall lock and Horstead mill :

DSC00120.thumb.jpg.a2e2c0c97c542dca580140edbc873e07.jpg

DSC00112.thumb.jpg.6ce3d9bccfa56a9c8abc2a4cdc808532.jpg

In the second photo the portage slip can be seen to the left of the lock.  A decent facility obviously installed at some expense, for a good purpose.

What a pity the organisers didn't have the consideration to start their rally on Coltishall Common and then go as far as they like up the upper Bure, which is a lovely river that they would have all to themselves apart from the otters.  If I were a canoeist (which I used to be) I would enjoy that a great deal more than the Ant at Ludham Bridge!

DSC00118.thumb.jpg.6982c12d1356e264d2d95b418bd90e96.jpg

• Like 4

"Would you get out and cross the road in bare feet carrying a board and all your kit?"

No, nor would I paddle board  under or in the close vicinity of Ludham Bridge on a Saturday morning.

"Far worse than just following, or preceding, a cruiser!!!"

On that point our opinions differ.

• Like 2

well, just to raise the stakes, this morning while shopping at lidl, they had SUP's on offer for £199, so in light of that I have now joined the ranks of sit down paddle boarders (not quite up to the level of standing up yet) so a short toll will be purchased for two weeks (£19.20) for my upcoming trip later this week.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, grendel said:

well, just to raise the stakes, this morning while shopping at lidl, they had SUP's on offer for £199, so in light of that I have now joined the ranks of sit down paddle boarders (not quite up to the level of standing up yet) so a short toll will be purchased for two weeks (£19.20) for my upcoming trip later this week.

Lol Grendel - a foot in both camps, just in case you can't use Water Rail next weekend :default_eusa_dance:

• Haha 1