A Close Call....

Smoggy

When I worked at the solicitors and at that time did Criminal Law , I used to love going to Court.   At times it was quite amusing.     The accused in the dock,  pleading that he was innocent and was so lovely you would have thought he was the local vicar, until the Judge sent him down (and they do go down the stairs to the cells) for 2 years and well to say the air was blue was no exaggeration.   The Judge's parentage was in question several times along with many other compliments that this guy could muster.      His charm offensive didn't work and I do believe the sentence was increased.

So it can be enlightening at times.

• Haha 2

Well my old pops has got off quite lightly so far.

Obviously he showed up on Monday, didn't get a case so was sat about for nearly 8 hours, he has to call every evening after 6pm to see if he's required to attend the next day, so far they have been telling him not to bother.

Maybe they noted his needing assistance with the stairs and such and are informally standing him down, who knows.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

When I joined  the BOV/IMB.Iwas exempted from Jury service.I left the IMB in 2005 and was exempted  for ten years. As yet I've not been called.Marina has been called once.Early in our married  lift,but I think she was unwell and was excused.With my experience of Prison system it wouldn't  worry unduly. 

I've also had quite a lot of experience of the prison system and for anyone who thinks these are cushy places, let me assure them that they are horrendous. Before anyone jumps to conclusions, I have worked in many sensitive government buildings including prisons, and when I retired, I was still holding my CTC security pass (counter terrorism clearance), I'm proud to say, to achieve which involves detailed investigation of 3 generations. 

I bet I've tempted providence now and a letter will drop on the mat shortly. Can you be exempted for not having time to attend as enjoying boating on the Broads too much! :default_smile:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Sadly not I think.Back to Prisons,I very much enjoyed  my time at Belmarsh. For sure I met the Good the bad and the ugly.I also visited  a number of Prisons.Some I thought  were poorly managed. 

Was that as a visitor or a long term resident ?

• Haha 3

The two worst prisons were Maidstone and Canterbury, both Victorian relics.

I was told I couldn't take in anything sharp or a potential weapon. That was a bit tricky as I needed lots of instruments and tools. I had two wardens, one for me and one for my weopons collection, all logged in and out again.

2 hours ago, Wussername said:

forerunner BOV  Board of visitors 

IMB Independent  monitoring  Board. 

It started in the 1800s. Visitoring Magistrates. Following concerns of

the state of prisons and prisoners. 

Each Prision in England Wales and Northern Ireland has a IMB.Belmarsh is a large prison (local).So a mix of those Cat C,D B and the most serious  Cat A.There was 21 of us.We were appointed  by the Home Office.All volunteers. We received  travel costs.All my time there nearly  15 years I lost money,but I found it interesting. We would check on a rota basis weekly the state of the prison.Take Applications from inmates,take to staff.If there was an incident we attended  making a written acount of the incident,that has been used in courts in the past.Each mouth we as a group   met with the Governor  and each year an annual  report  to the Home Office. 

It was perhaps one of the most interesting  things I've been involved in.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

forerunner BOV  Board of visitors 

IMB Independent  monitoring  Board. 

It started in the 1800s. Visitoring Magistrates. Following concerns of

the state of prisons and prisoners. 

Each Prision in England Wales and Northern Ireland has a IMB.Belmarsh is a large prison (local).So a mix of those Cat C,D B and the most serious  Cat A.There was 21 of us.We were appointed  by the Home Office.All volunteers. We received  travel costs.All my time there nearly  15 years I lost money,but I found it interesting. We would check on a rota basis weekly the state of the prison.Take Applications from inmates,take to staff.If there was an incident we attended  making a written acount of the incident,that has been used in courts in the past.Each mouth we as a group   met with the Governor  and each year an annual  report  to the Home Office. 

It was perhaps one of the most interesting  things I've been involved in.

Thank you Ian for your contribution.

Friends of mine have been involved in very high security prisons in the UK, mainland and other places. Close family members are prison officers, with regard to illegal immigrants, and other categories. 

I have admiration for the work which you have carried out, together with the demanding contribution made by those whose dedication is so often accepted but not rewarded or even recognised.

Andrew.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Just  missed out on a MBE. My vice chair got one.Still I never entered  into voluntary  work for honers.I did so giving something back.

Actually, joking aside, I never knew this was a thing. 

Fair play to you for volunteering for all those years - one of those roles that no doubt you were rarely thanked for but must have been very valuable even if it wasn't appreciated 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Think in fairness we were and I think still well thought of.Over the years we brought to the attention of Governors the Home Office etc.We had the ability to high light problems,that others who took some things  for granted. We often could get the Governor to resolve  problems  that we raised  and most Governors worked with us.That said if a Governor  didn't  want to accept our reports  we could go direct  to the Home office.We did have teeth  and we used bite if really  necessary. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Still I never entered  into voluntary  work for honers.I did so giving something back.

Of course you didn't enter into such work for the honours but you deserve a medal for all you have done and still continue to do in spite of your health issues. Medals should be given to more people like you rather than some celebrity who acted in a film or got to number one in the music charts once  x

• Like 4

I mostly agree.There are many well known personally. Just recently  the swim across  the channel for the little girl with a horrible  skin condition. What I don't understand  is some recent ex MPS who appeared  to have done little apart from appearing  on I'm a celebrity. Then throwing toys out of the pram  because  they didn't  get an honour  or something that thought  it was a good idea to have a Christmas  party when millions  of us couldn't  see our family  and friends. 

There is a system  in place allowing anyone to put forward those they think deserves an award. 

As for me. All my life I've been involved  in voluntary work. I get more out then I put in.Its very rewarding. In part I think it's due to my mum.My father passed when I was 18 months  old.She often had two jobs,she worked hard.I wanted and still do want to give back over the years my commitment  to voluntary work has reduced  over the years.When I was at Belmarsh I was also a Elected Director  of Thamesmead Town .I was good at keeping  three balls in the air.

Since moving  to Martham and helping when I can at Hemsby. Many there work very hard not only with the Lifeboat also in the village. It is  very much a community. 

• Like 4