New Discovery Centres

PaulN

I've just been sent a picture of a new building going up at Beccles Yacht Station and have been told it's a new B.A. Visitor's Centre and that rumour has it there are two more planned for elsewhere.

If this is the case, I find it an unbelievable waste of our money. Please tell me it isn't true.

7 minutes ago, grendel said:

surely that should be in the planning section of the Broads Authority remit, i wonder if they have applied for any permissions - or will it turn out to be a gazebo or other temporary structure.

Big Gazebo.

It's in the field over the footbridge

IMG-20230627-WA0002.jpg

3 minutes ago, grendel said:

could it be this one - https://planning.broads-authority.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=RKAKJ7TBJEQ00 

which calls for a pergola and information boards, referred to as a discovery hub (I suppose a bit like the telephone box at  thurne

Ah, possibly yes. A good place for the locals to hang out in the evening, a bit like the benches at Loddon

The trouble with rumors is that often they are just that rumors! The Broads Charitable Trust, not the Broads Authority applied for and got planning permission with conditions attached, which I believe have since been satisfied for the discovery hub that Grendel has posted links to.

Details of funding for the Broads charitable Trust can be found on the register of charities.

I don't have a lot of faith in the BA at the moment, but they are not responsible for absolutely everything going on around the Broads. 

The information is out there for those who are truly interested before they hit the spread the latest rumor button!

• Like 1

For what its worth it might be worth changing the very misleading title of this thread. They are Discovery Centres, not BA visitor centres.

There will eventually be three;

1. Salhouse Broad already open.

2. Beccles Quay under construction.

3. Great Yarmouth Seafront, should be open July 2023

They are owned by The Broads Charitable Trust. They are being sponsored for the first three years by Richardsons Leisure who will be funding the provision of a ranger to operate across all three sites during the three years. I don't know if that is a BA ranger or some other ranger, however the cost either way is being met by Richardsons Leisure.

Love the Broads and Visit the Broads are other trade marks the Broads Charitable Trust operates under.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• grendel changed the title to New Discovery Centres
16 hours ago, Meantime said:

The trouble with rumors is that often they are just that rumors! The Broads Charitable Trust, not the Broads Authority applied for and got planning permission with conditions attached, which I believe have since been satisfied for the discovery hub that Grendel has posted links to.

Details of funding for the Broads charitable Trust can be found on the register of charities.

I don't have a lot of faith in the BA at the moment, but they are not responsible for absolutely everything going on around the Broads. 

The information is out there for those who are truly interested before they hit the spread the latest rumor button!

As you will see from my original post, I did not say it was a B.A. Information Centre, I said I had been told it was and had heard rumours of 2 others.

I posted this on here to tease out the truth from the wealth of knowledge of our Forum's members. I'm pleased to say that with all the contributions above, it has achieved exactly that. Thank you everyone.

• Like 1