Forgot About The Hills

As the forum is fairly quiet at the moment, while people are hopefully out enjoying their holidays on the Broads, I thought I would add this little write up.

Now that we are fortunate to live in Norfolk we have got back to taking holidays in other parts of England. I thank my lucky stars every day that I don't have to wait to come on holiday to be able to see some of the places that I love around the Broads, even though arriving anywhere by land is not quite the same as arriving on the river. We digress ... already ...

Back in June we travelled up to Northumberland for a week in a lodge booked via Hoseasons. That's quite a long drive from here, about 5 1/2 hours plus stops. We stayed at Heathergate Boutique Holiday Park on the edge of Hexham. Very friendly owners, a great welcome, fantastic lodge ... would highly recommend if you're looking for anywhere in that area.

The weather was a very mixed bunch, and not all that warm but our lodge looked out across the countryside, fields of sheep, a few cows ... skies and clouds and wind and rain and sun ... we had it all. But oh yes ... the hills! Living in a fairly flat part of the country it was many years since I had been anywhere very far north ... and I had completely forgotten about hills ... you know, the kind where you have to take a low gear to drive up or to drive down. There were plenty of those. But the scenery was stunning.

More to come about where we went and the places we visited.

• Like 5

• SwanR changed the title to Forgot About The Hills

Sunday we went into Hexham itself. I'm still not sure what I made of it. There was a main road like most towns have, with rather a lot of charity shops. Then there's a nice park area. And some very historic buildings. Of course we couldn't go into the abbey as there were services so we paid a return visit later in the week to take a look. There was one very nice shopping street, very attractive, somewhere near the abbey and the market square. It was quite a bustling place, and it's well served by supermarkets on the other edge of the town, kind of opposite side to where we stayed. But having seen it I don't feel the need to go back there.

Monday we went to Hadrian's Wall ... did I mention the hills? Ha ha ha ... we stopped at a National Trust and English Heritage site, Housesteads Roman Fort. Very inspiring, great little film playing in the museum to give you the history lesson. Really worth making the climb ... I hadn't thought about the car park being at the bottom of the hill. :default_rofl:

Tuesday was a washout so we made the most of the amazing views from our lodge and chilled out for most of the day. Once the rain stopped we made a return trip into Hexham to see the abbey. 

• Like 3

Wednesday we went to a National Trust property Wallington House and Gardens, Very nice, very pleasant to wander around. It was well worth the drive to get there. On the way back we found a lovely pub called The Boatside Inn. The staff were so friendly, the service was good and the food was great. It was at a little place called Warden, just outside Hexham. We enjoyed it so much that we went back there the next day for another lunch out.

Thursday we went walking at Tyne Green Country Park by the river on the edge of Hexham. This was a little gem that we found by chance but was a lovely place to chill. Then we carried on to Allen Banks and Staward Gorge, another National Trust location so we got free car parking. We certainly made use of the membership that week. More beautiful countryside and another quiet walk.

Friday we visited Corbridge. Now that is a delightful Roman town. It seemed to be very popular as the car park was almost full when we arrived. We stopped for coffee in one of several cafe type places. Had a walk around the main streets, visited the church, and then had another riverside walk before heading back to the lodge.

Saturday we got up early and were on our way by 05.30 as we wanted to get south of the roadworks on the A1 before it got busy. We had a good easy drive and were home by lunchtime.

• Like 4

Our verdict ... we definitely want to go back. The lodge was fantastic and a great location for exploring. We didn't get over to the coast as we didn't fancy the long drive and had plenty to see where we were. But that's on our list for a future holiday.

The people everywhere were very friendly and welcoming and the scenery was stunning. The weather was what it was ... if you holiday in England you take that chance. But the daylight hours were sooooo long being further north at that time of year. I couldn't believe how light it still was at well past 10pm.

Here's a little video. Not sure about the quality of some of the clips but I hope you take a look and see for yourself how beautiful it is up there.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, SwanR said:

But the daylight hours were sooooo long being further north at that time of year. I couldn't believe how light it still was at well past 10pm

My friends from Sussex on the boat with me this week have even commented on it being lighter later here in Norfolk than down there. 
And of course when we go to our son’s in Scotland at this time of year, it doesn’t  really get dark at all. 

Love all the hills!!!!!! We went to all those places on our honeymoon, staying in a most dodgy self catering cottage in Haltwhistle. Certainly wouldn’t make the grade nowadays. 

Keep the stories coming Jean. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SwanR said:

There was a main road like most towns have, with rather a lot of charity shops.

2 hours ago, SwanR said:

It was quite a bustling place, and it's well served by supermarkets on the other edge of the town,

Sadly those two statements illustrate the problem where the second causes the first. Stalham is another good example. 

Lovely writeup though Jean. Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Sadly those two statements illustrate the problem where the second causes the first. Stalham is another good example. 

Is that not true of most towns now.  Out of town retail parks and supermarkets have all but killed our high streets and with them so many ‘local’ shops, like butchers, bakers and fishmongers . . . . . . . . . that’s a thought, I can’t even remember seeing a proper fishmonger for years, only vans in markets.

Back in Northampton, many of the now closed stores in the high street (M & S, BHS, Debenhams etc.) are being turned into student accommodation for the local university.  I guess there’s only capacity for a certain number of charity shops and coffee shops in any town! 😉

5 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Lovely writeup though Jean. Thank you.

Yes, indeed.  It’s a part of the country that I’ve yet to explore.  Maybe one day.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grendel said:

I have noticed that instead of being light at 4am its not getting light now until later- the mornings are drawing in now.

Grendel I’ve definitely noticed the same with the evenings getting dark a little sooner. It’s been feeling a little autumnal but I’d rather have cool and showery than the heat of southern Europe. And actually, had it been hot weather when we were away then we would have been saying that we we were too hot to be out walking up those hills! 🤭

Jean, 

You should have called in when you were in Corbridge, we live 5 minutes walking (downhill) from the centre, about the same distance as the car park.

Hexham used to be a nice town but when Robbs (think Roys) closed the place took a nose dive.

paul

• Thanks 1

I’ll have to remember that Paul. We loved Corbridge. Would definitely visit there again. Had coffee and scones in Massey’s Tearoom. They were the best scones I’d had in a long time. And spoke to some very friendly ladies who were doing the flower arrangements in the church. I’ll post a few photos later that I took there. 

image.thumb.jpeg.0bdafb73c13cb1ec7d538af186d9596f.jpeg
But there are hills in Suffolk………      Anyone know where this notice board is?

I remember going to a super farm shop near Corbridge, Brocksbushes. This was many years ago but I still have a carrier bag from the shop and it’s still going strong! 

• Like 1