How Hill Ludham

Simes82

Pike have been overfished on the Broads for about the last 10/15 years - whilst they are still about I guess they don't exactly jump on your bait. 

Years ago nobody even fished for pike until October ( yes I know its nearly that !) and on average in the river at Horning you might see one or two people fishing for pike over the winter period - now I have seen 20/25 people fishing for pike over about 1/ 1 1/2 miles. Not only that almost everyone fishing of a hire boat, seems to have at least one pike rod out all the time, irrespective of whether they are watching tv or not! Add to that the mishandling debate such as just dragging them out of the river onto a boat, and its not really a surprise!!

As for perch, perhaps you should try using them red wiggly things which abound in my muck heap, but thats probably the old fashioned way! Equally I doubt How Hill is the best spot on the Broads - its certainly one of the busiest......!!

My father used to tell hirers who asked, that the only way to catch Bream was with left - handed wiggle maggots. The ones that wiggled to the right were no good.

Harry Rout, who owned the stores on the River Green and did all our grocery orders, caught on to the joke and started selling them in plastic tubs, labelled left - handed wiggle maggots.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5