Is This My Boat ? I'm A Frayed Knot !

Bikertov

25 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

Whilst I really like the whole Victron world you put in, I'm not sure I want to spend too much on all the monitoring side as you did, at least not right now.

Renogy RBM500s are worth looking at. £50 for a shunt and LCD display is pretty good value for money.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Karizma said:

Great list - most of it looks very familiar ................

Thanks for that.

Some of those points will be dealt with as part of the engine service I have booked. For instance, the survey highlighted a leak from the stuffing box, so that is already on the workshop list of things to do.

As my plan would be to keep her in the water over next winter, I will add those other items you mentioned, as the cost of another lift out would probably be higher than the work needed !

The survey also noted the 2 anodes (skeg and rudder) at 75% intact. But maybe I should just change them anyway if it is going to be 2 years until the next planned lift-out.

Funnily enough, on the river trial the (Raymarine ST40) depth sensor reading was all over the place, and the speed was stuck on zero. So when it was out for the survey, I asked Jones to have a quick look. They cleaned the sensor face and freed up the speed wheel - now it works a treat. But maybe I will just remove the speed wheel from the hull fitting and give it a full soak and clean up. Safer than doing it when in the water !

1 hour ago, Karizma said:

Enjoy your first winter of servicing / getting to know your boat - I really enjoyed the process, as every day is a 'school day'

I really am. I just love being on board and 'pottering' for hours, looking at things and working out what and where everything is. And I can't stop smiling in the process :default_biggrin:

When I think about it, it is a brilliant boat for me. Not too new and fully working that there is nothing to learn, modify or upgrade, but not too old and knackered that it is just a complete regret and money pit that I can't deal with. 

• Like 1

Instead of re-packing the stuffing box why not consider changing for a volvo type dripless seal, the orbitrade ones asap supplied do have a vent fitting so they never need burping when launched.

It depends on wether the shaft needs pulling out to fit or not on cost.

I know packing is cheap and can be replaced in the water (if you are very brave and quick) but you always end up with water in the bilge.

43 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Instead of re-packing the stuffing box why not consider changing for a volvo type dripless seal, the orbitrade ones asap supplied do have a vent fitting so they never need burping when launched.

That's really sound advice. Tides marine ones are also worth considering. Not cheap, but they include a couple of replacement seals in a holder on the shaft so you can pull and replace a seal whilst in the water.

1 hour ago, Bikertov said:

The survey also noted the 2 anodes (skeg and rudder) at 75% intact. But maybe I should just change them anyway if it is going to be 2 years until the next planned lift-out.

Did they say what metal type are fitted?

I'd probably be less concerned about replacing them, unless you plan on spending a lot of time on the lower tidal sections. Dom Buckley recommended fitting them to the boat I planned on buying recently, but he has also commented before now on the fact that most hire boats don't run them and don't suffer significant corrosion even after 20-30 years. Assuming your electrics are in order, corrosion should be pretty minimal even if your anodes are gone. If you have an earth leak issue, even new anodes can be gone in a matter of months.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, dom said:

Did they say what metal type are fitted?

Anodes.thumb.jpg.3373f9a648b737c1e9d2fd035c41a552.jpg

No, the survey didn't say what type.

When I think about it, I doubt the boat has been out of the water for at least 2 years, maybe 3.  From the picture, they don't seem to far gone - if I cleaned them up with a wire brush, would they last another 2 years ?

I doubt I will be on the lower / tidal sections much, as most of my cruising for next year at least will be short day or weekend trips.

8 minutes ago, Karizma said:

Looks very similar set up to mine (minus a prop!)- have fun :default_eusa_dance:

From all the research I have done, it would seem that a prop is a very useful accessory to allow for forward movement of the vessel, and I would thoroughly recommend fitting at least one of them.

Failing that, apparently you can put up a broomstick (or similar) vertically on the deck and tie a big rag to it, then wait for the next storm to blow.

You're welcome :default_rolleyes:

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

When I think about it, I doubt the boat has been out of the water for at least 2 years, maybe 3.  From the picture, they don't seem to far gone - if I cleaned them up with a wire brush, would they last another 2 years ?

Conventional wisdom is replace at 50% and expect them to last 12 months - but that's in salt water.

In fresh water, zinc develops an insulating coating, so the anode stops working and never erodes. Magnesium is best in fresh water, but pretty much dissolves in salt water. Aluminium is best in mixed or brackish conditions.

I'd probably have said go with aluminium, as the river's tidal as far as Brownshill Staunch so there's potential for brackish water (it's not unusual to see seals at Earith). You may be better off taking Smoggy's advice though, as it's based on 1st hand experience. Looking at your image, I'd say just clean them up and see how they look.

21 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

Failing that, apparently you can put up a broomstick (or similar) vertically on the deck and tie a big rag to it, then wait for the next storm to blow :default_rolleyes:

Believe it or not, my dad's Broom 30 actually came with a short mast and a small sail. The previous owner was a boatyard owner, who'd opted for all the coastal extras. I presume the sail gave some stability benefit in extreme coastal conditions, but I've never quite figured out how or when you'd use it.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 23/11/2023 at 10:27, Bikertov said:

Hardstanding.thumb.jpg.d5aeaad10bc910fe08c7daf6eabe9be3.jpg

Either the river levels in St. Ives have seriously dropped, or my boat is now pretending to be a car for the next 4 months ...

Have you been down lately @Bikertov?

The river level has just set a new record today at St.Ives. Just curious how high above water level the bit where you're dry stored is, but can't see on the webcam at the moment.

20 minutes ago, dom said:

Have you been down lately @Bikertov?

The river level has just set a new record today at St.Ives. Just curious how high above water level the bit where you're dry stored is, but can't see on the webcam at the moment.

I was on the boat last Sunday, New Year Eve, during the day, and 2 weeks before that - levels were up and down

2 weeks ago, the St.Ives lock was "reversed", but last week it wasn't and levels were almost back to normal

However, I did look at the Jones webcams today, and was shocked - the marina was like one large lake. The water height stick normally shows about 0.1m or 0.2m and has a maximum reading of 1.2m.

But today, the top of the stick was underwater, and the water was almost over the edge of the "Quay front". Looking at the "Boat sales area", the gravel was just underwater, so the car park must have started to flood. I  just hope shop has not been flooded.

My boat is on the hardstanding by the "slipway", and I could see the water was nearly overtopping the quay heading there too.

At this rate, I will be back in the water well before March, and without needing to be craned !

Low Road from Jones' through to Fenstanton is well and truly underwater, but I think St.Ives end is OK. I think Jones' shop is above road level, so hopefully OK.

I may go out for a drive and take a look at a few places tomorrow. Photos of Huntingdon Boathaven look more like a new broad. Westview marina at Earith is completely inaccessible. There are record levels showing on sensors all over the place upstream of Earith now.

Not sure if the link'll work, but Little Paxton lock is currently more like a set of rapids!

https://www.facebook.com/borochris/videos/755394609945047

I'm assuming that Jones' staff and the webcam probably give you peace of mind - but if you do ever need a welfare check on anything, just let me know.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, dom said:

Not sure if the link'll work, but Little Paxton lock is currently more like a set of rapids!

https://www.facebook.com/borochris/videos/755394609945047

I'm assuming that Jones' staff and the webcam probably give you peace of mind - but if you do ever need a welfare check on anything, just let me know.

Wow, that video is mad. I reckon the St.Ives lock can't be much different, although you wouldn't be able to get to it right now as the access road must be a couple of feet deep now at least.

The webcams certainly do give peace of mind, especially as I can see my boat on the slipway cam

I'm actually more concerned for the staff and marina, that they don't get flooded or suffer any damage.

But very kind of you indeed for the 'welfare check' offer, and I hope I never need to take you up on it - in the nicest possible way of course !

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Bikertov said:

I see what you mean about record levels !

Yeah, beating 20 year records by multiple inches is pretty serious. There's just a hint that St.Ives might be levelling out now, but downstream at Earith is still climbing steadily. It's good that you're out of the water. There have been quite a lot of incidents with boats adrift and lots of others where they've reached the end of the slack in mooring lines and are heeling over heavily. I suspect there may well be quite a lot of quay heading damage from boats moored too tightly.

You can't take chances, this guy lives on a narrow boat in St.neots marina and his staging is at nuts level and very narrow,

20240106_155038.thumb.jpg.f03d782f5dbaef1e472ec8a8606a456f.jpg

He thought I was taking the wee yesterday when I asked about if had a lifejacket, I was serious as I wouldn't do it without. 

Edit: I also suggested the landlady run the taps to see if he needed a wee when he was fully wadered, gotta have warm warm feet.....:default_blink:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeyboy1966 said:

St ives ,yesterday.

At least it looks like the Dolphin car park is empty this time. I can remember one occasion in the late 90s when it came up suddenly and a lot of vehicles were parked there and got stranded in deep water for weeks.

1 hour ago, dom said:

At least it looks like the Dolphin car park is empty this time. I can remember one occasion in the late 90s when it came up suddenly and a lot of vehicles were parked there and got stranded in deep water for weeks.

I remember that.

16 hours ago, Bikertov said:

Wow, that video is mad. I reckon the St.Ives lock can't be much different

I passed through St.Ives earlier, so had a bit of look around. St.Ives lock is currently completely immersed. It's just a big expanse of water with a few bits of hardware poking up. I did grab a picture whilst traffic slowed on the bridge, but you can't see much through the mesh on the bridge sides and I didn't fancy the trek back from the nearest parking to get a better shot.

Low Road is flooded from halfway through Jones Boatyard's entrance. You can't even get to the entrance to the road to the lock. It looks like Jones' shop has probably escaped flooding so far, but an earlier EA alert mentioned a possible further surge, so not in the clear just yet. I pulled into the car park for a quick look and reckon they've probably got 4 inches or so margin at the moment.

There's currrently around 6" or so off the quay heading in front of A Frayed Knot, so she's pretty safe. The same can't be said for other marinas. Westview, Pike & Eel, Wyton and Buckden marinas are all inaccesible, which has given me food for thought, as I've been toying with the idea of keeping a boat on the RGO.

IMG_0553.thumb.jpeg.3a50a2bd977516b80c0a1f242f1008eb.jpeg

• Sad 1