Is This My Boat ? I'm A Frayed Knot !

Bikertov

Thanks for the update and picture Dom - that is a mad amount to extra water, especially past the lock, when you think the drop is normally say 6ft going through ?

I'm not too worried about A Frayed Knot floating away just yet, but I do hope that Mike's boat Sweep is all OK out in the marina basin - it is difficult to make her out on the webcams

Ironically, that is where I am looking to secure my permanent mooring in the spring, so am in two minds now whether it is a good idea or not. Having said that, as the whole marina is underwater,  it probably wouldn't make too much difference. And as you say, the alternative downstream marinas are not faring any better right now.

Pretty sure sweep is ok,

the lads at Jones moved it to a floating pontoon a couple of weeks back.

I can’t see it on the webcams but someone posted some drone footage on Facebook yesterday,(that’s where I pinched the shot of st ives)

all was ok then.

• Like 1

My work situation is a bit fluid at the moment, so not committing to anything at the moment, but I'd been thinking I might buy a smaller boat and moor it at either Westview or Pike & Eel. The situation at the moment has really put me off though. The Old West isn't completely unaffected, but seems much less prone to extreme conditions. I think I might look more seriously at Fish & Duck, Tiptree or Upware as possible options if I do look at keeping something on the RGO. Being local, I don't want to spend a lot of money on a boat I can't use for half the year.

The basin by the shop was quite empty and I was a bit distracted by a nice looking aft cockpit Fairline Mirage, so I didn't notice Sweep. If I'm around again, I'll make a point of looking out for her. I'm not sure if Jones' might have moved some boats from the main basin into either the sales area or the new basin for more shelter?

Great photo, I love oil painting skies, didn’t get enough of those last year!

Lovely part of the country and I hope the water drains away ASAP, pressure seems to be up and humidity down, fingers crossed for no more rain for a while.

9 hours ago, mikeyboy1966 said:

St ives ,yesterday.88B5847B-C236-40F0-A354-EAA0FC564BB1.thumb.jpeg.fca62bd54b5a740953d141329be87dfe.jpeg

35 minutes ago, dom said:

My work situation is a bit fluid at the moment, so not committing to anything at the moment, but I'd been thinking I might buy a smaller boat and moor it at either Westview or Pike & Eel. The situation at the moment has really put me off though. The Old West isn't completely unaffected, but seems much less prone to extreme conditions. I think I might look more seriously at Fish & Duck, Tiptree or Upware as possible options if I do look at keeping something on the RGO. Being local, I don't want to spend a lot of money on a boat I can't use for half the year.

The basin by the shop was quite empty and I was a bit distracted by a nice looking aft cockpit Fairline Mirage, so I didn't notice Sweep. If I'm around again, I'll make a point of looking out for her. I'm not sure if Jones' might have moved some boats from the main basin into either the sales area or the new basin for more shelter?

As you probably know,

the old west has no real flow from the Ouse,only what comes through the lock,and runoff obv.

as to the marinas you’ve mentioned,I’d go and take a good look at them and speak to some boat owners berthed at them before committing.

at least with Jones you know that should conditions become poor they will do their utmost to look after your boat.

54 minutes ago, mikeyboy1966 said:

at least with Jones you know that should conditions become poor they will do their utmost to look after your boat.

To be fair, Westview seem to be really going out of their way to safeguard people's boats there too. The chap who owns the place also has a driveway full of cars presumably belonging to marina residents which have been moved to escape the flood waters. It's just the fact they're so prone to flooding in the first place which is becoming a concern.

I think if I was living further afield, I'd swallow the cost and go with Jones, but I'm only a couple of miles up the road, so can always head over easily to check mooring lines, etc if things get bad. The Old West is less vulnerable, but there's been a cruiser adrift there, a narrowboat loose on the Little Ouse and several issues with lines pulling boats down at Tiptree, so it's not entirely trouble free there either. Denver would be quite an attractive option, but everyone's been sat on mud for the last week or so again.

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

You may be floating again soon!

LOL - I was looking at the Jones webcams earlier - the water level has risen significantly over the last day or so, to the point where the quay front is about to go underwater again

I'm planning to be there again on Sunday, to start getting thing ready for re-floating in a few weeks time - or the next few days at this rate :default_icon_e_surprised:

• Sad 1

Still raining here at the moment and the rise doesn't generally level off until a few days after the last rain, so it'll probably come up a bit yet. It really came out of nowhere this time around, so just shows how little water the ground, aquifers, etc are able to accept still. Lots more rain to come in the next few weeks too according to the forecast.

The ironic thing is, 6 or 8 weeks from now, we'll probably be back to talk of preserving water in the system again.

• Like 1

QuayFront.jpg.3fe631241c2b22cee16a01f6312152e5.jpg

The water level gauge in front of the bush is now showing 1.0m. whereas it is 0.0-0.1m under normal conditions, and the Quay Front is about to go under water, and the Boat Sales area is also just starting to flood

I suspect Sweep will be inaccessible at the moment ...

My day tomorrow will be spent planning the electrical work I want to have done.

I have got a marine engineer coming to have a look in a couple of weeks, as Jones are too busy for the foreseeable to do any major works. So I need to understand what I can realistically do myself (not a lot), and what I need someone else to do for me (most of it).

On 11/02/2024 at 00:16, Bikertov said:

I suspect Sweep will be inaccessible at the moment ...

My day tomorrow will be spent planning the electrical work I want to have done.

I have got a marine engineer coming to have a look in a couple of weeks, as Jones are too busy for the foreseeable to do any major works. So I need to understand what I can realistically do myself (not a lot), and what I need someone else to do for me (most of it).

I have just competed a marine electrical course as an electrical engineer, if you need help I’d be happy to look through this with you and get together a plan. 

Boat wiring is easy, use all black cables and remember to not label anything,  route it as inaccessible as possible through the mankiest spaces you can barely find or reach.

Spread fuses out throughout the boat but whatever you do don't take any notes about where they are as you'll never forget.

Most secure connections are done by twisting the cables together and loosely wrapping a bit of cheap wilko insulation tape around, best done in the bilge.

P.s. don't follow this advice.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

5 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Boat wiring is easy, use all black cables and remember to not label anything,  route it as inaccessible as possible through the mankiest spaces you can barely find or reach.

Spread fuses out throughout the boat but whatever you do don't take any notes about where they are as you'll never forget.

Most secure connections are done by twisting the cables together and loosely wrapping a bit of cheap wilko insulation tape around, best done in the bilge.

Ah - so it was you who snuck onto my boat and rewired it for me :default_icon_e_surprised:

That's pretty much how it is right now

Inaccessible cabling, cables joined out of sight, no consistency in colours, no labels, 4 sets of wires into a 240V point (should be max 3 - 2 for the ring and one spur), switches/circuits disconnected (eg the Nav lights)

I would say the original Broom parts of the cabling are mainly OK, it is the additions over the years that are not the best

However, my main concern was that the Shore Power and Inverter output were not isolated. But Jones have confirmed that the "grey box" that joins the two outputs does in fact contain a contactor. In fact, it is 2 Lovato contactors somehow wired together to do the isolation.

6 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Sounds like my boat!!  I have fuse boxes in 3 different areas, the last of which I only discovered as I wondered what was behind a small panel in a random area!  Naturally they use 2 completely different types of fuse....

1 hour ago, dom said:

Hopefully neither are continental fuses?

Nope, horrible things they are, always corroding!  One has blade fuses and the other 2 have the old fat Legrand cartridge fuses.

water rail has a rewireable ceramic house fues in the most inaccessible place behind the rest of the electrical panel, hopefully its not still wired in (there is a fusebox inside the heads too- behind the bulkhead for the main switches.)