Tolls (that’s Not A Swear Word!) Amongst Other Things.

vanessan

32 minutes ago, marshman said:

Comforting to know if you have transgressed!!!!!!

I think you're missing the point. Notices are being issued to innocent (?) boaters who have correctly tolled their vessels, but the app provided for the rangers' use doesn't reflect that fact!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The app should only be used as a filter. If it indicates that no toll has been paid, a phone call shoud be made to the Tolls Office to verify that status BEFORE any accusatory notice is issued.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Islander said:

There was nowt wrong with a toll sticker on the bow of the boat. 

Colin :default_drinks:

That's another thing they got wrong. Because the printers used the wrong ink on one batch and the ink ran, the BA decided it would be an opportune time to scrap them altogether (despite it being a bye law requirement to display them). So they replaced a fairly foolproof checking system with one that has a built-in obvious major flaw. Sounds about right.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Troyboy said:

It is completely unacceptable that a ranger puts a notice on a boat because he is using an inaccurate app for his evidence. And I point the blame at the ranger as much as the BA. The ranger should be ringing the tolls office every time he come across an alleged boat that hasn't been tolled. As that was described by Paladin. It is exactly the same principle as the post masters. They are issuing notices using unreliable software. I'm not making lite of the post office scandal. That is an issue that makes my blood boil. It is incumbent on the ranger to have accurate evidence before he/she issues a notice. Disgraceful. 

You point the blame at the ranger?Has he been told to ring the tolls office?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, lurcher said:

You point the blame at the ranger?Has he been told to ring the tolls office?

No, the one I spoke to was told to just keep issuing the notices. So not his fault. He, and the other rangers, are just following instructions, which they will have to do if they want to keep their jobs!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Paladin said:

No, the one I spoke to was told to just keep issuing the notices. So not his fault. He, and the other rangers, are just following instructions, which they will have to do if they want to keep their jobs!

While there are genuine exceptions like yourself tolls are due 1st April, Marina checks start in May a month later, if people pay on time then there will be no issue.

Fred

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paladin said:

That's another thing they got wrong. Because the printers used the wrong ink on one batch and the ink ran, the BA decided it would be an opportune time to scrap them altogether (despite it being a bye law requirement to display them). So they replaced a fairly foolproof checking system with one that has a built-in obvious major flaw. Sounds about right.

Do you not get a toll sticker to display then ?

On the Great Ouse, we get sent an email with the toll certificate on it (it prints about 3" square) and have to cut it out and display it on the boat.

At Jones marina where I am, we had the EA enforcement team out last week, checking the boats for up to date certificates. Of course, that becomes a bit of a fail when the river has been closed to navigation for so long, hence a lot of owners haven't even been to the marina in months so haven't been able to put this year's certificate up !

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

On the Great Ouse, we get sent an email with the toll certificate on it (it prints about 3" square) and have to cut it out and display it on the boat.

At Jones marina where I am, we had the EA enforcement team out last week, checking the boats for up to date certificates. Of course, that becomes a bit of a fail when the river has been closed to navigation for so long, hence a lot of owners haven't even been to the marina in months so haven't been able to put this year's certificate up !

Not now.  We used to get a toll sticker, but it probably saves money on printing and postage to not send them and to rely on an online system that isn’t fit for purpose in the 21st century.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

BA used to provide a tax disc style proof of toll. I don't think it was actually required for it to visible externally - ours used to be on an internal bulkhead.

They used to be quite useful as a means of identifying smaller craft which had come adrift when other marks were missing or not required. Generally, dinghies had a pressed acrylic holder on thwarts.

12 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

Of course, that becomes a bit of a fail when the river has been closed to navigation for so long

Or when the inspector places an enforcement notice on a window directly above a clearly valid license, as has happened at least once this season!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dom said:

Or when the inspector places an enforcement notice on a window directly above a clearly valid license, as has happened at least once this season!

When they came around Jones the other week, they were told to get lost, on the basis a lot of owners hadn't yet been to update the licence.

The yard then went around to check all the boats, and messaged owners to warn them if they weren't up to date

I got an email - despite having FOUR copies displayed, two on each side of the boat. I let him off, as apparently I was the last of 300 boats checked that day !