Day Boat Hire Recommendations?

Maddybc

Hi all

Last year I had an amazing long weekend on the broads staying on a cruiser which was too tall for us newbies to try to go under any bridges. We were on Bure most time spent in Salhouse and Ranworth broads. 

This year there will be 5 of us who love creature comforts and a 1yr old Bernese Mountain Dog so we’ve opted for self-catering on land and hiring a day boat to explore.  The house is on Barton Broad and has a mooring so we have direct access to SUP/Kayak. We’ll be there in July. 

We’d like to hire a boat that comfortably accommodates us all (plus a toilet and small kitchen ideally, but fridge/cooler is minimum) for 2-3 days in a row. 

- Any recommendations what/where to hire around there?

- Do companies let you keep day boats overnight (for a fee)?

Any thoughts or advice on the boat or anything welcome!

Thanks

Maddy

We hired the smaller picnic boat from Simpsons.  Just two of us and a mutt.  Wanted something  that was like a 'proper' boat with a loo (which we never used!).  It did have a 'fridge and one of the noiseiest small diesel engines fitted under the bow!  Apart from the noise it did the job.

• Like 2

Ferry Marina Horning have a good selection., but a fridge may be more difficult. Broads Tours in Wroxham have them I think but whether Herbert Woods do not sure - you may have to ask them.

Yes you can keep them overnight, and I don't see that being a problem but if you hire an electric one, and there are a few about, you would have to find if you can recharge where you are staying  - unlikely!

The Ensign 21 from Wayford looks a good bet but doesn't seem to have a fridge but is in reality a mini cruiser and not a day boat style non of which would seem to meet your criteria. It may have a socket for an electric cool box. I would guess that may get booked up quite early and is only 20 mins from Barton

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Graham47 said:

Wayford Marine at Wayford Bridge have a good selection of Picnic Boats. Most picnic boats I have hired had, a toilet, gas hob and sink, but I can’t recall any that had a fridge. 

I’m still a newbie. Didn’t even know what a picnic boat before today was so didn’t realise fridges aren’t the norm. Don’t need a hob or anything special, can bring my own cool box. 

I’ll check out Watford Marine. Thanks!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I believe Simpsons boatyard in Stalham have a couple of small dayboat/cruisers that they would probably let out for several days.

If not, I have found Richardsons in Wroxham to be most accommodating.

Thanks, I’ll check them out. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marshman said:

Ferry Marina Horning have a good selection., but a fridge may be more difficult. Broads Tours in Wroxham have them I think but whether Herbert Woods do not sure - you may have to ask them.

Yes you can keep them overnight, and I don't see that being a problem but if you hire an electric one, and there are a few about, you would have to find if you can recharge where you are staying  - unlikely!

The Ensign 21 from Wayford looks a good bet but doesn't seem to have a fridge but is in reality a mini cruiser and not a day boat style non of which would seem to meet your criteria. It may have a socket for an electric cool box. I would guess that may get booked up quite early and is only 20 mins from Barton

Thanks, this is helpful. I’m new and didh’t mean to indicate I needed something special (fridge), I wrongly assumed it would be included. Normal cool box will work for us. Thanks for the info!

• Like 1